We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need to book a tour from Cusco to MP

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
133 posts
207 reviews
Do I need to book a tour from Cusco to MP

Been trying to figure out the solo trek from Cusco to MP. is this something I can do myself easily and cheaply?

From what I have figured out I need to take a train to MP but not from Cusco.

From the end of the train I need to take a bus to MP and have a ticket for either am or pm entrance.

Can all the train and bus tickets be self-procured easily ?

And is buying the MP ticket online months before the actual trip the wisest thing to do?

Arrival in Cusco Feb 1 2019.

Thanks

2 replies to this topic
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
199 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: Do I need to book a tour from Cusco to MP

It's not a "trek" if you're going by train/bus. No need to book in advance unless you're doing one of the mountains, particularly Huayna Picchu, which sells out.

Paris, Canada
Level Contributor
7,961 posts
20 reviews
2. Re: Do I need to book a tour from Cusco to MP

There are trains from Cusco (Poroy) but as far as I know there are no trains from Poroy in the rainy season (January to April). There are also more departures from Ollantaytambo. And Ollantaytambo is a nice town with amazing ruins and lower in elevation than Cusco so better for acclimatizing.

So you would buy train tickets online (Peru Rail or Inca Rail) from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes. In AC you take a bus to the MP entrance. You can buy bus tickets in AC.

If you are not hiking up a mountain at MP you can buy afternoon tickets and tickets will often still be available last minute (not always in high season but February is low season). If you want to hike up a mountain you have to buy morning tickets. You can choose Huayna Picchu or Montana. We chose Montana. HP does indeed often sell out weeks (months) in advance. If you choose Montana, tickets could still be available last minute. You can keep checking availability on the official website: http://www.machupicchu.gob.pe/

You can buy tickets there as well or you can buy tickets in Cusco or Aguas Calientes.

If you have time there is a cheaper option. You can take a shuttle from Cusco or Ollantaytambo to Hidroelectrica and then walk 2.5-3 hours to Aguas Calientes. You need 3 days if you choose that option (2 days might be possible but would be very rushed unless you take the train one way). Although we did that in January that option may not be the best choice in rainy season (because of possible landslides).

Reply to: Do I need to book a tour from Cusco to MP
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted