We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which shoes to bring?

Illinois
Level Contributor
249 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Which shoes to bring?

I am so puzzled as to which shoes to bring to the Galapagos and also to Machua Pichua . I have hiking shoes, waterproof keen like sandal, birki water shoes that have straps and the list goes on. We are by the water frequently but not water landings. We will be touring the cities too so hence my dilemma . On this board someone said after being there they would not bring their keen shoes. The hiking shoes take up room in my suitcase. Thanks

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
160 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which shoes to bring?

As long as you're not hiking to Machu Picchu, I would bring comfortable sneakers for Peru and city walking and Keens for the Galapagos. The "hiking" in the Galapagos is more like trail walking so your Keens will be fine. You really don't need anything else. Wear one of them on your flight and you'll have plenty of room in your suitcase for other stuff. Enjoy!

Illinois
Level Contributor
249 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which shoes to bring?

I wear orthotic sandals and thinking of bringing them too. Thanks for the advice!

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
1,791 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which shoes to bring?

You will have to leave any shoes that you use on a landing on the fantail (or some other place on the boat). You can't use these shoes for moving around the cabin of the boat. As long as you're fine with going barefoot on the boat (which nearly everyone on our 2 trips did), you'll be fine with just the 2 pairs suggested in #1. But if you're uncomfortable with bare feet (which my husband is), you might consider a very light pair of sandals as "boat shoes."

Tina

trip report at http://galapagos2009.wordpress.com/

Toronto
Level Contributor
392 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Which shoes to bring?

And to save room in your luggage, wear the biggest/heaviest shoes - hikers - on the plane. It's amazing how much space you can save by wearing all your "bulky" stuff on flights.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which shoes to bring?

Has anyone stayed at La Salve Lodge?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,201 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which shoes to bring?

BMS, you may have better success starting your own question on a new post. People who may know about La Salva lodge may not be interested in advising on shoes. You are going to get a lot of lost information by not creating your own 'questions'. I appreciate that you are new, so please take this as a little friendly advice. there is also a bit of TripAdvisor etiquette where they ask that you don't divert someone else's thread by asking a new question particularly that is unrelated.

So as a review, may I suggest you go to the 'Ecuador' forum. near the top is a gold "Ask A Question" button. This is where you get to make a clear title, and post your own questions.

Also, the Search option (again, in the Ecuador forum) you can see a number of reviews and comments for La Selva Lodge.....and there is also the Reviews section of TripAdvisor. At the very top of the website, you can search from there. Just ensure your spelling is correct.

Welcome to Trip Advisor and hope we can help with your queries.

Brampton, Canada
Level Contributor
147 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which shoes to bring?

7 years traveling to Ecuador best shoe is my Keen sandles like you mentioned the newport style , if you have these you know they have toe protectors and are water proof... They are made for this type of adventure....and light weight.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which shoes to bring?

Many apologies and thank you for your advice which is very helpful.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
700 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which shoes to bring?

I am a huge fan of Keens! I noticed mine were getting a bit shabby and ordered a new pair which just arrived. Check out the Clearwater CNX -- they're sort of new I think. I took them out of the box and assumed they sent me the wrong size because they look so tiny. My old ones were so clunky-looking I was embarrassed to wear them anywhere other than hiking. These still have the same bottom and the toe protector, but are *almost* fashionable. Perfect for when you can only bring one pair of shoes on a trip!

Boston...
11 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Which shoes to bring?

Thanks for the great tip on Keen Clearwater CNX shoes! I will definitely check them out. Are they comfortable enough for the longer hikes? I was thinking of using hiking sneakers for the longer walks along with socks to avoid blisters and for greater comfort. Since I have never used the Keen sandals, I wasn’t sure if they were appropriate for all of the hikes / landings throughout the cruise. Any thoughts appreciated!