We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

About travel insurance in Galapagos

9 posts
Save Topic
About travel insurance in Galapagos

Hi,

i wonder if the emergency rescue can be well done in Galapagos,so i make effort to find any travel insurances which can provide immediate and expert assistance in Galapagos.

Pls recommend some assistance-service companies such as i want.i will decide the travel insurance according to its partner who can do it well in Galapagos.

7 replies to this topic
Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
11,207 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: About travel insurance in Galapagos

Without knowing where you're from, I can recommend insuremytrip.com for comparing plans from several companies. It is for U.S. residents only. World Nomads gets some good reviews for their insurance as well.

Rockville Centre...
Level Contributor
1,714 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: About travel insurance in Galapagos

Emergency rescue insurance: In Galápagos, I suspect there's no such thing. You're on a ship, perhaps several days removed from the nearest airport. You need a helicopter to fly out to the ship, get you transferred to it and then flown to the nearest island with a hospital (probably Puerto Ayora on Isla Santa Cruz). Then when that hospital can't handle the nature of the emergency, flown back to the mainland. And then there's another slight complication: the ship may be out of range for any ship-to-shore communication. Is there any insurance that would cover all of the above? And if so, how much?

9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: About travel insurance in Galapagos

Hi,azbuceadora.Thanks for your quick relpy.

I am resident in China.i noticed the following thread in the forum.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29431…

i also wonder it.what are differences between "Worldwide (Galapagos Islands)" and “Ecuador” when i buy travel insurance thru World Nomads?

9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: About travel insurance in Galapagos

Dear John,

because of our budget,i prefer to land based trip in the Santa Cruz or Isabella.i have to consider the insurance.

if someone prefers to cruises,i think the travel insurance has been included in the package.so she or he doesn't consider it.

Edited: 14 May 2018, 09:46
Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
11,207 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: About travel insurance in Galapagos

I took a quick look at World Nomads' policy for a Chinese citizen traveling to Ecuador. I did not see any exclusion regarding Galapagos.

Before typing in a destination country on their web site, you can scroll through a menu of countries. "Galapagos" is not an option. I really think the OP in the thread you refer to was overthinking the issue, or perhaps did not really understand that the islands are a part of Ecuador, so ended up seeing a general worldwide policy. I noticed that the Falkland Islands and Puerto Rico are covered separately, but they are territories, and Galapagos is not. It is considered a province.

9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: About travel insurance in Galapagos

hi,azbuceadora.Thanks for your explain again.

who is Nomads' partner who is responsible for assistance in Galapagos? and what about it?

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
11,207 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: About travel insurance in Galapagos

You'll have to read their website yourself. I know nothing about them.

Reply to: About travel insurance in Galapagos
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Galapagos Islands