We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Combining an 8 day cruise with a shorter land based tour?

UAE
Level Contributor
246 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Combining an 8 day cruise with a shorter land based tour?

We’re still in the North West Vs South East Itinerary debate.

However, whichever we choose, if we wanted to add an Island which is not on either tinerary as a 2 or 3 day land based trip, which would you recommend as an add on, where we could see something not available on the itinerary we choose.

So in effect it would be 8 day NW cruise + 2/3 day land based tour to a SE Island

or 8 day SE cruise + 2/3 day land based tour to a NW Island.

Is it even worth considering this?

Thanks

5 replies to this topic
Augusta, Maine
Level Contributor
602 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Combining an 8 day cruise with a shorter land based tour?

I think it is not an unusual thing to do. My recommendation would be Isabela and the Wall of Tears. It's not that the Wall of Tears is so great, but it is a beautiful bike ride along the coast, seeing beautiful empty beaches, mangroves, flamingoes, a flooded lava tube cave you can go in, crabs, marine iguanas, giant tortoises walking along the road, other birds and bugs, maybe sea lions, a pretty cemetery, cactus taller than you, a great steep hike overlooking everything, oh yeah, and the Wall of Tears. It is a fantastic outing and probably the best exposure to truely wild tortoises. Plus you are on your own time so take as much or as little time as you want at any point along the way- walk on the beach, chat with the tortoises, explore...Not to mention that is is a great island otherwise with a few great snorkeling opportunities, but you will get a lot of that on your cruise.

Edited: 10 May 2018, 07:35
Mentioned in this post
Isabela
Isabela
Galapagos Islands, Ecuador
The Wall of Tears
The Wall of Tears
594 Reviews
Isabela, Ecuador
Level Contributor
89 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Combining an 8 day cruise with a shorter land based tour?

"So in effect it would be 8 day NW cruise + 2/3 day land based tour to a SE Island" this is the only doable choice because there are NO day trips that go to the sites you can visit by cruise on the NW islands. If you have the chance visiting Punta Pitt and Española is definitely worth it.

UAE
Level Contributor
246 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Combining an 8 day cruise with a shorter land based tour?

Thank you SASFall91 and galapaguito5.

Yes, I am looking at staying on for 3 days to go to Española - currently working out dates and options.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
55 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Combining an 8 day cruise with a shorter land based tour?

I would do NW and add on San Cristobel. I loved that island and that was the plan i also came up with after months of research. Didn't quite all go to plan in the end (see my trip report post) but had an incredible time anyway!

UAE
Level Contributor
246 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Combining an 8 day cruise with a shorter land based tour?

Thanks HannahRosa2488. We are doing the NW Islands for 8 days and then 2 days at San Christobal and Espanola. While the latter is crunched, this combination hopefully gives us the best of both worlds

Reply to: Combining an 8 day cruise with a shorter land based tour?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted