We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cuenca, Machu Piccu & New York

Armidale, Australia
Level Contributor
183 posts
14 reviews
Cuenca, Machu Piccu & New York

Hi we are traveling from Australia. We really want to spend one week in New York(museum visits). Also we want to visit my friend in Cuenca(Ecuador) & since we are traveling that far, we'd like to visit famous Machu Picchu(walking). I only have 1 month around September/October to do all. What is the best way to travel for us? Please help us.

6 replies to this topic
Los Alamos, New...
Level Contributor
3,109 posts
147 reviews
1. Re: Cuenca, Machu Piccu & New York

Can you be more specific about what informain it is that you need? Are you asking how to get between these places? How much time to spend in each location?

Armidale, Australia
Level Contributor
183 posts
14 reviews
2. Re: Cuenca, Machu Piccu & New York

Thank you MooreUSA, well, I want to spend one week in NYC to go around the art museums & see some shows at night. Then I want to visit my friend who recently retired in Cuenca & catch up maybe for 4 days. Then I want to do one trekking near or at Machu Picchu for a week or longer. Total of 1 month in September (2019). I am worried about the airfare might go up too high. I am thinking of 2 options. I buy Sydney/NYC return then NYC/Quito return then Quito/Cuenca return. Then return Quito/Lima then return Lima/Cusco? Or can I get around the world ticket to go to around SYD/NYC/ Cuenca/ Lima/Cusco/SYD? Probably not.

Los Alamos, New...
Level Contributor
3,109 posts
147 reviews
3. Re: Cuenca, Machu Piccu & New York

I was under the impression that most airlines do not sell tickets more than 12 months out. Some even less. You can absolutely get this all on one ticket if you want but it would definitely be smart to see what it would cost to part it out. I suspect you will get better prices if you buy it separately, especially since their might be deals to be had from airlines in South America that won't service North America or Australia.

Cuenca, Ecuador
Level Contributor
282 posts
94 reviews
4. Re: Cuenca, Machu Piccu & New York

miko n .... something to consider with machu picchu trekking. if you want to do the famous inca trail, you need to get a permit in advance through one of the many trekking cos. also, there are other hikes that do not require permits. i suggest you check out some websites to see what is available. we used alpaca expeditions and recommend them.

also .. i highly suggest visiting and/or staying in Ollantaytambo in the sacred valley. awesome ruins ... very cool incan town ... fun to wander through the narrow, grid-like alleyways and look at the construction and water channels.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
11,277 posts
101 reviews
5. Re: Cuenca, Machu Piccu & New York

Miko, with such a complicated itinerary, I recommend working with a good travel agent who can run various sequences and pricing for you. You could also consult the Air Travel forum on TA. They may have some pointers for you.

Armidale, Australia
Level Contributor
183 posts
14 reviews
6. Re: Cuenca, Machu Piccu & New York

Thanks azbuceadora, I didn’t think of Air Travel forum.

Reply to: Cuenca, Machu Piccu & New York
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted