We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pucon to Bariloche

New York
Level Contributor
117 posts
2 reviews
Pucon to Bariloche

We are staying for two nights in Pucon and then need to get to Bariloche. We don't want to do the expensive overland/ferry that some companies offer. Someone told me there was a bus we could take. Any advice?

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
11,615 posts
30 reviews
1. Re: Pucon to Bariloche

The boat/bus crossing goes from Puerto Montt/Puerto Varas, not Pucón. There is at least one bus a day from Pucón to San Martin de los Andes and you would have to get another bus from there to Bariloche. There are more buses going from Puerto Montt/Puerto Varas through Osorno to Bariloche as the road is paved all the way. The other route is not completely paved on the Chilean side. The companies which go from Pucón to San Martin are Igi Llaima and San Martin. You should get your ticket as soon as possible as the route is heavily used by locals all year.

New York
Level Contributor
117 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Pucon to Bariloche

How do I buy a ticket from Pucon to San Martin and then to Bariloche?

I'd like to leave Pucon on friday morning and arrive in Bariloche that night? Is that possible?

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
11,615 posts
30 reviews
3. Re: Pucon to Bariloche

You have to buy your ticket in Pucón at one of the two companies which do the trip to SMA. The bus ticket from SMA to Bariloche can be bought in the bus station there. Albus does the route.You won't get to SMA until midday or the early afternoon and You would have to see what time buses leave for Bariloche. I think it is only in the morning, but check.

Your other option is to go from Pucón to Osorno with JAC and get a bus there which will take you directly to Bariloche.

New York
Level Contributor
117 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Pucon to Bariloche

Thanks, that's very helpful.

one more question, if I may. Someone suggested we make our base in the Lake District at Puerto Veras. That way, we could also spend a day exploring Chiloe. I think it would also be easier to make the trip from Puerto Veras to Bariloche.

So -- how would you compare staying in Puerto Veras vs Pucon for 2 days?

And, can I get an overnight bus from Santiago to Puerto veras?

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
11,615 posts
30 reviews
5. Re: Pucon to Bariloche

Yes, you can get an overnight bus to Puerto Varas. It takes a bit longer as it is further south, but the scenery once it gets light is lovely. Take your own snacks and water.

Puerto Varas is very nice and there is plenty to do in the area. A local company can organise some outings. It makes more sense if you are going to cross to Bariloche. The bus goes through national parks on both sides of the border. You can get a bus from PV to Bariloche. If you take either Turbus or Cruz del Sur (different bus stations) south, they can sell you the PV to Bariloche connection as they have agreements with sister companies (Tas Choapa and Bus Norte). Just be sure to get the dates right if you are not doing an immediate connection the same day. You need your passports to buy international bus tickets.

Don't worry if the assistant on the bus collects up all the passports and ID documents on the way over. He has to make a list to present to customs at the border. You'll get them back!

New York
Level Contributor
117 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Pucon to Bariloche

Thanks again for your helpful information. if we do use Puerto Varas as our base, do you know how long the bus trip to bariloche would be? Are there several buses a day? What time do they leave?

You are a terrific resource!

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
11,615 posts
30 reviews
7. Re: Pucon to Bariloche

The time the bus takes is dependent on how long things take at the border. First is Chilean customs and then Argentine. In summer the waits can be long. Normally, about 6 hours from PV to Bariloche. PV is about an hour from Osorno. You'll learn to use the word "about" a lot in South America. Buses leave at about 10 am from Osorno, so around an hour before that in PV. In the summer there are later buses as well. There are 3-4 companies which do the trip from Osorno. Check that yours includes PV on the way. I am not sure if they have built a central bus station in PV, otherwise buses leave from their own offices. All buses to Bariloche leave from the central bus station in Osorno as it is a much bigger town.

8. Re: Pucon to Bariloche

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2010, 15:16
Get answers to your questions about Pucon
Recent Conversations