We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food safety

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
337 posts
246 reviews
173 helpful votes
Food safety

Is it safe to drink tap water and/or eat street food? Any food(s) places that would be an issue? I was talking to a friend who said she got sick when she arrived in Singapore, but wasn't sure if she didn't pickup something in Bali before getting to Singapore. Never dawned on me to ask this.

Jakarta
Level Contributor
61,585 posts
127 reviews
4,624 helpful votes
1. Re: Food safety

Mary V, hi

Yes, in Singapore tap water is safe and street food is recommended. Unlike everything in this department in Indonesia.

Washing hands before every meal and/or using

sanitizer is a simple precaution in any case.

Kent
Level Contributor
2,433 posts
35 reviews
28 helpful votes
2. Re: Food safety

Tap water is very safe to drink, a lot of places have drinking fountains too and as for the hawker centres, we eat there all the time and have never had ant problems - They have a licensing requirement, where a sufficient standard of hygiene is required for the stall to operate. You will notice that the stalls display hygiene rating certificates ranging from A to C.

Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
10,480 posts
30 reviews
27 helpful votes
3. Re: Food safety

Hi Mary V,

The quality of our drinking water is regulated by Environmental Public Health Regulations 2008 and this was based on WHO Guidelines for Drinking Water Quality. Singapore's National Water Agency has in place a comprehensive and robust sampling and monitoring Programme to verify water quality, from source to tap, to ensure that water supplied is safe for consumption.

For food, the National Environment Agency regulates the food retail industry in Singapore to ensure that food sold at retail outlets is prepared hygienically and thus safe for consumption. NEA licenses all food retail businesses and run courses for all licensees for their food handlers and service staff good Housekeeping and food and personal hygiene practices. This is to help food Operators to maintain a high standard of food safety and personal hygiene in food establishments and prevent unpleasant and costly incidents involving food borne illnesses.

NEA also has in place a grading system for licensed eating establishments and food stalls, to appraise food outlets. All food outlets are advised to displace the grading certificate, grade A to D, to enable the public to make a more informed choice when patronising food outlets.

In a nutshell, I would not say that it is 100% safe but it is very rare that a person falls ill from eating and drinking water from the tap in Singapore.

My $0.02. Hope this helps.

North Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
7,219 posts
4. Re: Food safety

Yes and yes to the first two questions.

I've never been sick in Singapore, nor indeed ever heard of anyone being sick as a result of drinking/eating. It is however not unusual for plane flights to cause sickness. Air on planes is of notoriously poor quality, as any small confined space is likely to be. Dehydration is also another ''sickness'' inducing problems, again the atmophere in many planes is not good. Water is the answer, not booze.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
102 posts
178 reviews
528 helpful votes
5. Re: Food safety

For the past 6 years eating in Singapore (and I eat out daily, twice a day), so dont worry.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
337 posts
246 reviews
173 helpful votes
6. Re: Food safety

Thanks everyone. I was somewhat embarrassed to ask this. Thanks for the reassurances.

Jakarta
Level Contributor
61,585 posts
127 reviews
4,624 helpful votes
7. Re: Food safety

Mary V, you are most welcome!

We are always happy to help and clear the matters for the travelers, do not be afraid to ask as many questions ( travel related, of course) as you need!

Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
50 posts
31 reviews
13 helpful votes
8. Re: Food safety

No worries, singapore is a very clean country. they need license to operate even a small shop. Seller needs to go for hygiene course before having their own stall! have fun here!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
81 posts
1 review
4 helpful votes
9. Re: Food safety

Everything in Singapore is I think safe, in my opinion. You just have to be hygienic also. and be sensitive with everything you eat and drink.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
17 posts
11 reviews
4 helpful votes
10. Re: Food safety

probably most importantly is the hygiene is maintain within you, i doubt there is any issue.

Tap water is safe to drink in Singapore. As for the food stall, it is not easy to find a street food in Singapore however do look out on how they prepare their food. Of cuz each vendor do need a license before they are able to operate. So no worries and also do remember to have a mozzie pad with you, just in case :)