We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Little India, Arab Street, Chinatown

London
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Little India, Arab Street, Chinatown

As I explore the REAL Singapore (including the minority, ethnic areas), the places such as Little India, Chinatown, and even Arab Street spring to mind.

For a solo traveller, which is the most impressive? I have been reading reviews here on TA all evening, and it seems Chinatown is most impressive...

Also are there any restrictions on photography/filming in these places, seeing as their religion/beliefs are likely to be more stringent than SE Asian locals?

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Little India, Arab Street, Chinatown

No restrictions on photography that I am aware of. Which is better is an individual preference. Personally having China towns close to my location, I prefer Little India and the Arab Street area. Singapore is not large; the MRT is close and cheap; and you can easily try all three areas and pick your own favorite.

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,570 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Little India, Arab Street, Chinatown

You could do all three - Chinatown, Little India and Kampong Glam in half a day. Take as many pictures as you want. If you intend to visit places of worship wear pants and you'll need to remove your shoes at the hindu temples and the mosque.

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Little India, Arab Street, Chinatown

Those area has their own charm, and different from one to another. So you can't really compare it.

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,291 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Little India, Arab Street, Chinatown

Over the years, the Singapore government has implemented policies to avoid conclaves or pockets of any single ethnic group/race/religion. So, there are no "minority areas" as such in Singapore. Distribution of races in any part of Singapore is by and large in the same proportion as that in Singapore's total population.

There are ethnic areas such as Chinatown, Little India, Arab Street etc. But the ethnicity in these areas is displayed by the architecture, prevailent customs, businesses and places of worship, rather than races/religion of the people residing there.

Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
878 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Little India, Arab Street, Chinatown

You could easily do all three. I like Chinatown the most, followed by Little India and then Arab Street as being my least impressive area of the three. I walked to all three in the same day, but I like to walk a lot having my base near Clarke Quay .

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
744 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Little India, Arab Street, Chinatown

Personally, I would prefer Chinatown as well for the varied sights it has to offer. This is a general circular route you can take starting from the Sri Mariamman Hindu Temple at the heart of Chinatown, the Buddha Tooth Relic Temple, the famous Maxwell Food Centre, the URA Singapore City Gallery (just behind Maxwell), Ann Siang Hill (from there you can head to Telok Ayer Street) just behind PS Cafe, Al Abrar Mosque, Thian Hock Keng Temple, Nagore Dhurga Shrine (now converted to an Indian Muslim museum). Nearby, you can visit an existing Chinese clan association housed in a 19th century building at Far East Square. From there, walk towards Club Street and you will reach the original starting point.

From Chinatown, you can also take a slow 15 walk towards Neil Road (go to a

Chinese tea house) towards Keong Saik Street and to Pinnacle@Duxton, a 50-storey public housing project where you can enjoy great panoramic sights and see one of the best examples of public housing.

Therefore, many more varied sights and

experience around Chinatown.

Hope this convince you why Chinatown

Is a better option. Some of the routes I

mentioned are less travelled by tourist but very safe! Enjoy!

Edited: 23 February 2012, 02:55
Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
318 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Little India, Arab Street, Chinatown

I stayed at Hotel 1929 in Chinatown in November 2011 (I was a solo traveler too). Each area you're considering is unique in its own way, so it's hard to say which one was most impressive, but I will note that access to other sites/areas from Chinatown was quick and easy.

The MRT will whisk you to other areas in minutes and a taxi ride is cheap. A taxi ride was $5 SGD to go to Marina Bay Sands and $7 SGD to the Botanical Garden (a visit to the Orchard Garden is a must!).

I'm a wannabe photographer and wasn't restricted with my pictures. In fact, they are more lenient than other places in regards to taking pictures inside temples.

8. Re: Little India, Arab Street, Chinatown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2013, 19:25