We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Yum Cha Available

Sydney
Level Contributor
968 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Best Yum Cha Available

Going to Singapore for five days in May and always searching for the best Yum Cha available. Have regularly eaten at Crystal Jade Palace, so now looking for some other possibilities. Any suggestions please?

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Yum Cha Available

[ Type "dimsum" in the Search in box. ]

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Yum Cha Available

Hi there,

Here is 1 place that you might consider: Hua Ting at Orchard Hotel. They famous with the authentic Cantonese Cuisine and the Yum Cha definitely the 'hit' for this place. Reservation highly recommended, especially weekend. Here is the website for your reference: millenniumhotels.com.sg/orchardhotelsingapor…

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,122 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Yum Cha Available

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294265-i1748-k324…

Best dimsum is certainly not in Chinatown!

Edited: 09 February 2010, 20:43
North Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
4,881 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Yum Cha Available

Twenty five-thirty years ago I would have sent you to ''Red Star'', whereas people still go there in huge numbers I haven't been for several years because quality dropped, and also Singapore has developed over the the years, and my tastes have changed.

''Yum Cha'' and traditional ''High Tea'' seems to have been reduced to a ''touristy'' thing these days, certainly when I was young life was so different from today,

''When I were a lad'', I know I've become my own grandfather, Ha Ha I don't say ''life was better'' just different that's all.

ps It WAS better really, much better ''when I were a lad'' hee hee. Alan

Singapore
Level Contributor
458 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Yum Cha Available

I feel one way to judge a restaurant is that it gets a lot of locals going there. Therefore I would recommend Red star.The high turnover means that Yum Cha is fresh and I love the old aunties pushing around the trolleys.

The last time I went there , was with a client from the UK. We were the only non Chinese in the whole place.

http://www.redstarrestaurant.com.sg/

If you go there on a public holiday be prepared to queue

Singapore
Level Contributor
458 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Yum Cha Available

The other place to try is Swee Choon Tim Sum , Jalan Basar Road ( little India)

Again a real local , local place which opens all night but shuts at 9AM , you can go there for an late supper or early breakfast with all the old Uncles sitting around reading newspapers and drinking tea.

It is real Singapore ......not a touristy place at all .

North Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
4,881 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Yum Cha Available

''I feel one way to judge a restaurant is that it gets a lot of locals going there. Therefore I would recommend Red star.The high turnover means that Yum Cha is fresh and I love the old aunties pushing around the trolleys''.

I once heard on radio four discussion programme someone say, ''Lorry drivers know the best places to eat'', the reply from one of the other guests on the programme who said, '' No they don't know the best places to eat, they know the best places for lorry drivers to eat, which isn't necessarily the same thing''.

Locals don't always eat at the ''best places'' they eat at the ''best places'' for them. Which isn't always the same thing. Alan.

Happily we can agree to disagree, as Expat-Yorkshire frequently does with what I say, it's what makes forums like this such fun, the diversity of opinions. I only offer MY honest opinions, and relate MY experiences, as I'm sure our friend Expat-Yorkshire does.

There are seldom definitives, only opinions. Alan.

Edited: 10 February 2010, 10:25
Singapore
Level Contributor
458 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Yum Cha Available

I just think it comes down to what you are looking for. I dont deliberately disagree with Diggs it just that I prefer to eat at more places where the locals eat .Singapore is a place obsessesed with food and they usually know where to go if food is important .

I just like to offer a slightly different perspective to people coming here and most places that I would recommend are off the tourist path because they reflect the places I like to eat. For me the quality of food is key rather than crisp table clothes.

Thats why for seafood I would never recommend Clarke Quay, I recommend a place in Geylang No signboard. Great food and again a true Singapore atmosphere but right in the middle of the red light area ( its not for everybody )

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Yum Cha Available

There's also "East Ocean Teochew Restaurant" in Shaw Centre, Orchard. I tried their dim sum and it was quite good.

Below are the links to the reviews:

- tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g294265-d8…

- hungrygowhere.com/singapore/…

- yum.sg/…

Singapore
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Yum Cha Available

Red Star is a nostalgic restaurant but the dimsum standard and quality is really not good even if it's frequented by locals. Diners who want to eat good, exquisite dimsum won't go there. Lozzie regularly eats at Crystal Jade Palace which serves good dimsum. I think he/she will be really disappointed if she makes a trip to Red Star.

Other than Crystal Jade Palace, my personal favourites are Wah Lok at Carlton Hotel and Lei Garden. Yes, East Ocean Teochew is not bad too.