We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coastal Resorts Near Singapore

Phillip Island
12 posts
Coastal Resorts Near Singapore

We are are family of 2 adults and 2 boys 12 and 14. We plan to be in Singapore in Sep 06 for about 2 weeks, hopefully in Singapore itself with friends for 9 days and somewhere else for the remaining 6. Can someone advise me of a coastal/island resort within a couple of hours bus/train that is easily reached from Singapore? Thanks in anticipation.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3,306 posts
38 reviews
1. Re: Coastal Resorts Near Singapore

There's the ever-popular Indonesian Bintan Island that's a 45-min ferry ride away, Desaru Resort in Malaysia reacheable also by a 45-min ferry ride or a 90-min car ride from Singapore. Since you've got 6 days to spend on a resort, why not plan on somewhere slightly further like Pulau Redang (Terengganu) or Langkawi? Both better resorts than Desaru. Or even to Thai resorts eg. Phuket, Koh Samui or Krabi?

With the influx of budget airlines here, it's really not that expensive hopping onto a flight and have a good time at either resort these days.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3,306 posts
38 reviews
2. Re: Coastal Resorts Near Singapore

Oops forgot ... there's Tioman also in Malaysia, a four hour journey by high-speed ferry. Another extremely popular resort.

Phillip Island
12 posts
3. Re: Coastal Resorts Near Singapore

Checkers, would that be a four hour ferry from Singapore? A voyage like that apeals to me

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
6,614 posts
76 reviews
4. Re: Coastal Resorts Near Singapore

Prices are getting really low for vacationing around the region and since you have 6 days, I do suggest bigger islands/destinations not only for beach but other activities as well.

Bintan is a good 3-day getaway but for longer, it gets a little boring without much to offer in terms of side trips.

Penang has Georgetown which is a good mix of beach and cultural activities as well as cheap & good food and shopping. This is a great place for families. The other one great for families is Port Dickson. The other good beach is Cherating and in Sep, you can watch the famous turtles lay their eggs on Chendor Beach. Cherating has a club med (might be worth considering if you can find a good deal)

Just one thing before I forget, watch out for jellyfish if you choose Georgetown (can be bad at times) and there is always a nice pool waiting at the resort :)

Teluk Chempedak (Kuantan) where you can go hiking/treking in the reserve (there is a hidden beach in this reserve - Pelindung Beach) or visit the zoo at Taman Teruntum. This is more for the outdoor family types :)

Malaysia's beaches with closer proximity had been mentioned by Checkers so I wont go into it. Langkawi is pretty.

If you really dont want to go too far from SIN and want a REAL unspoilt rustic beach, try Pulau Sibu (off Johor).

If you want more destinations, just let us know :) There is always the beautiful Philippines, exotic Thailand or unknown beaches in Vietnam (just love the food !!!).

Good Luck

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
6,614 posts
76 reviews
5. Re: Coastal Resorts Near Singapore

yew, the ferry to Tioman from SIN will take about 4 1/2 hours (except they have the day off on Wednesday), if you choose Tioman, dont forget to go to the village (Tekek) for some good food !

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3,306 posts
38 reviews
6. Re: Coastal Resorts Near Singapore

Aren't you just spoilt for choice now kenify??

Hope this doesn't turn into a domestic dispute with so many options available ;)

Level Contributor
2,408 posts
26 reviews
7. Re: Coastal Resorts Near Singapore

We have spent 5 nights in Langkawi having flown from Singapore which was well worth it. We have also taken the Train from Singapore to KL I know this isn't a resort but an interesting city. Also flown from Singapore to Bangkok which takes about 1 hour.

Phillip Island
12 posts
8. Re: Coastal Resorts Near Singapore

Checkers and de last one, you are the ones spoiling me for choise? Thanks. Luckily my wife is an illiterate when it comes to computers.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3,306 posts
38 reviews
9. Re: Coastal Resorts Near Singapore

That's a close shave for you Kenify. Phew!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: Coastal Resorts Near Singapore

In Singapore itself, you can have holiday resorts like DownTown East, Coastal Sand in Pasir Ris, Coastal Sand in East Coast, Rasa Sentosa on Sentosa Island, And Pulau Ubin resort.

In Indonesia, you can take a ferry from World Trade to Batam, Nongsa Resort. If you are also looking for spa and massage, Batam is have a spa boom. You can get cheap Thai, Javanese, or even Bali massage. Some of the massage is as low as Sin$6 for a foot reflxology to $15 a 1.5 hour body massage. Batam is a city, so you can also go for seafood and city tour, city shopping.

Beside Batam, you can try Bintan. Bintan belongs to Indonesia. But was leased to Singapore for a 99-year period. Bintan is actually on the northern part Tanjung Pinang. Because of the lease, Singapore has the right to rename it Bintan. There, Singapore companies build resorts with sea sport activities. Some resorts you can try are Mana-Mana Resort and Bintan Resorts. However, due to Singapore's influence on Bintan, everything that's spend in Bintan is in Singapore dollars even if it is Indonesia.

You can also try going to Tioman or Redang Island on the eastern coast of Johor Bahru, Malaysia. Or Pangkor Island or Langkawi Island.

You can also take a 1.5 flight from Singapore to Phuket or Krabi. There offers plenty of resorts and nightlife as well as Thai spa. Tiger Airways often have $1 per way ticket to Phuket or Krabi and you can easily geta return ticket for Sin$81.50 inclusive airport tax.

For more information on Phuket and hotels, you may visit my website at:

members.virtualtourist.com/m/686f4/160bcd/

Or email me personally at shane_02@VTmail.com