We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency at Singapore Airport

Wagga Wagga NSW...
Level Contributor
37 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Currency at Singapore Airport

I will have a two hour stopover at Changi Airport on my way home to Australia, at the end of May. I will have Euros and Australian dollars with me. Is either currency accepted at this airport or should I change some into Singapore dollars? If so which? As I am on my way home from Paris, I will probably only buy small toys for my grandchildren as space, weight and money will be prohibitive. I will probably visit Singapore again well before I visit Europe. However I am hopeful of getting to the US in the next year or so, should I change all the Euros to USD and hang on to them? I do hope some seasoned traveller with some knowledge of currency and its intricacies will have some advice for me.

Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency at Singapore Airport

Changi Airport accepts all major currencies in its retail outlets. However the rate of exchange is not the best (you may want to exchange your Euros into SGD at the money changer). Depending on what you want to buy, you may be able to use your credit card. For such a short transit, you really don't need SGD.

If you'd like convert your Euros to USD, then I suggest you change it when you get home (rather than changing it in Singapore where you'd incur a double-exchange cost).

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,165 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency at Singapore Airport

Singapore is actually one of the best places in the world for foregn currency exchnage. Money changers here do not charge a commission like in most other parts of the world.

The money changers in Changi Airport, which are operated by banks like American Express, UOB, etc, do not charge a commision for foreign currency exchange. Honestly, as you are not going thousands of $$$, it will not make much difference whether you change it now or 1 year later. 2 hours is a very short time for much shopping. If your purchase in Singapore is going to be less than S$50, simply charge it to your credit card.

Wagga Wagga NSW...
Level Contributor
37 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency at Singapore Airport

Thankyou Kevin-sq and JulesB66. How silly am I not to even think of my credit card for shopping. Will use this and hang on to Euros until I get home. However, depending on how many Euros I have left, might change them back into Australian dollars at Changi as I will not have time at Sydney Airport and once home will have to pay the commission.

Singapore
Level Contributor
19 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency at Singapore Airport

First - currency at Changi. Since you're buying just small stuff, I suggest using your leftover Euros. If you use credit card, the transactions will be converted from SGD to USD, then to AUD in your credit card bill. When you buy something and pay with Euros, the change will be returned to you in SGD. You can use up the SGD for some drinks + snacks, or you can donate them in the various collection boxes for charity around the ariport.

On changing back the Euros - probably a few hundred Euros, max right? If you want to hang on to something, hang on to Euros. Don't change to USD as it's value is presently dropping everyday! Personally, I will just change them back to AUD at Changi if you have the time.

5. Re: Currency at Singapore Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 01:16