We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transit visa for SINGAPORE? US citizen (a little complicated

Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Transit visa for SINGAPORE? US citizen (a little complicated

I arrive in SIN in June at midnight but catch a flight to DPS /Indonesia 5 hours later at 5am. Different airlines, not a through ticket. Do I have to go through immigrations and so forth?

Secondly, I arrive back in Singapore one month later to actually travel the city and go to Malaysia by bus.

I am worried that I will be asked to get a visa to SIN while transiting through to Indonesia and not be eligible to travel the country/city in one month when I actually d to use a visit visa on arrival.

US Citizen. Any info you can share is appreciated, (including any tricks on how/where sleep for free in SIN AIPORT!)

Edited: 14 May 2018, 10:59
11 replies to this topic
Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
10,207 posts
26 reviews
1. Re: Transit visa for SINGAPORE? US citizen (a little complicated

Hi,

US citizens do not need visas to enter Singapore.

1. Please name the airlines to fully address your query. Do you have checked in luggage?

2. Again, no visas needed for US citizens to enter Singapore.

3. There are free-to-use rest areas at Changi.

changiairport.com/content/cag/en/airport-exp…

Do be aware that you will need to have a valid boarding pass in order to remain at the transit side. Security forces may ask to see your boarding pass and if you do not have a valid one, you will be ask to leave the transit side as the transit side is a gazetted as a Protected Area.

Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Transit visa for SINGAPORE? US citizen (a little complicated

I know that no visas are needed for US citizens to enter, but is that limited to how many times you can enter/transit through SIN in a give time frame. i know that US citizens get visa on arrival but are they single entry?, but once you leave the country, can you come back within a month ?

I arrive at midnight on Japanese Airlines, 5am i leave to dps JETSTAR, and then I travel again one month later from DPS to SIN on JetStar. This time, I actually want to enter Singapore, see the city and go onwards to malaysia

Your help comments are appreciated!!!

Edited: 14 May 2018, 11:33
Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
2,683 posts
78 reviews
3. Re: Transit visa for SINGAPORE? US citizen (a little complicated

hi, it's not a visa on arrival as such, it's a visa exemption. There's no real limit on how many times you can get a visa exemption - I mean maybe if you were doing one every day for a month, an immigration officer might ask you some questions.

But 2-3 times in a month is quite normal. Many people visiting SE Asia region fly into Singapore for their long haul and leave to visit other countries. It's absolutely no problem.

PS just to make sure, when you say you are US Citizen, you have a US passport right? As it your passport that qualifies you for visa exemption.

Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
10,207 posts
26 reviews
4. Re: Transit visa for SINGAPORE? US citizen (a little complicated

Hi again,

Yes, there is no VOA nor Transit Visa facilities at Changi. Visitors to Singapore either need visas (which they must arranged in advance) or they don't. And US citizens do not need visas as you can see here

https:/…visitor_entryvisa

What you get upon arrival is the Short Term Visit Pass, stamp in your passport. You are eligible to get the STVP if you fulfill these requirements:

https:/…enteranddeparting_before_required

Singapore's Changi Airport is an AirHub. Many people visiting the region fly travel through Singapore. And there are many that do the land crossings for day trips to the southern Malaysian state of Johore too. So no issue with your plans.

Since you are next flying with Jetstar, upon arrival at Changi you will need to clear to immigration, collect your bags and recheck in for your flight. Jetstar check in opens 3 hours before scheduled flight.

Edited: 14 May 2018, 13:10
Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
10,207 posts
26 reviews
5. Re: Transit visa for SINGAPORE? US citizen (a little complicated

Forgot to mention, both JAL and Jetstar operate at T1. After clearing customs, you just need to move one level up to the Departure Hall to check in for your Jetstar flight.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
785 posts
312 reviews
6. Re: Transit visa for SINGAPORE? US citizen (a little complicated

if it's so difficult to come to Singapore, don't.

stay where you belong. don't come to this country.

Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Transit visa for SINGAPORE? US citizen (a little complicated

Thank you so much. Yes, yes, US passport , good reminder.

Thanks for sharing this info. I was worried about single entry, etc and you have helped! Thanks and wish you the best..

Jakarta
Level Contributor
61,585 posts
118 reviews
8. Re: Transit visa for SINGAPORE? US citizen (a little complicated

@ Amber K

With USA passport you are visa free to Singapore ( connect easily landside) and visa free to Indonesia. Standard immigration requirements apply...

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
857 posts
158 reviews
9. Re: Transit visa for SINGAPORE? US citizen (a little complicated

US cutizen, US passport here. I’ve entered and exited S’pore multiple times within one month on several different occasions. No problems at all just as indicated above. Very efficient, courteous immigration process. Enjoy S’pore!

Metro Manila...
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
20,186 posts
254 reviews
10. Re: Transit visa for SINGAPORE? US citizen (a little complicated

Singapore is a very popular transportation hub in this side of the world and many people enter and exit Singapore multiple times in a month just to reach other countries in Asia or beyond.

Reply to: Transit visa for SINGAPORE? US citizen (a little complicated
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted