We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Southern Ridges suggestion

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
2,028 posts
171 reviews
Save Topic
The Southern Ridges suggestion

Hi, we're coming back in September- to my delight! I'd like to walk at least some of the Southern Ridges. We're staying at Le Meridian on Sentosa, and would like to hear suggestions of where to start from. Around 6kms is good for us. Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
The Southern Ridges
The Southern Ridges
967 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
18 replies to this topic
Australia
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Bargain Travel, Holiday Travel, Singapore
Level Contributor
25,911 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Southern Ridges suggestion

Since you are staying on Sentosa you could start from Harbourfront MRT station exit D, and walk up the Marang Trail to Mt Faber, then over Henderson Waves Bridge and keep going towards Hort Park and beyond.

I like the Singapore Streetdirectory site. I type in Harbourfront MRT station and the map shows it and the letters of all the station Exits, then on my IPad I move the map around and along with my finger to follow the route of all the parks and walks along the Southern Ridges.-

www.streetdirectory.com/sd_mobile/?click=1

Mentioned in this post
Mount Faber
Mount Faber
318 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Henderson Waves
Henderson Waves
518 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Hort Park
Hort Park
107 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
The Southern Ridges
The Southern Ridges
967 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,911 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Southern Ridges suggestion

Or maybe get a taxi to Vigilante Drive somewhere about Carpark B and then walk back through Kent Ridge Park, the Canopy Walk. onto and through Hort Park, over Alexandra Arch Bridge, do the Forest Walk, keep walking through Telkok Blangah Park, over Henderson Waves bridge across to Mt Faber and down the little Marang Trail to end up back at Vivo City Mall. Stop for a cold drink and rest in the aircon and then go back over to Sentosa to your hotel using the Sentosa Express monorail.

Mentioned in this post
Kent Ridge Park
Kent Ridge Park
50 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Hort Park
Hort Park
107 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Henderson Waves
Henderson Waves
518 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Mount Faber
Mount Faber
318 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Vivo City
Vivo City
1,264 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
The Sentosa Express
The Sentosa Express
3,321 Reviews
Sentosa Island, Singapore
Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,911 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Southern Ridges suggestion

I saw on another posting that you had already been up to Mt Faber on a previous trip, so if you don’t want to walk around there again maybe get a bus to Henderson road and walk up the steep steps to Henderson Waves Bridge and walk from there towards Kent Ridge Park. Then get a taxi back (if you have a phone on you to call one).

These are a couple of buses I used:-

Bus service 124 from Harbourfront Bus Interchange. Alight at the “Aft Telkok Blangah Hts” bus stop on Henderson Road, that stop is under Henderson Waves Bridge. The steps up to the bridge are near the bus stop.

Or bus service 131 from Vivo City or the bus stop near Harbourfront Station Exit B and alight on Henderson road at that same “Aft Telok Blangah Hts” bus stop.

Here is the bus router site I use. Search for those two bus services and look at the routes and you can click on a bus stop red dot on the map and then use your finger or computer mouse to follow the route along, and use the bus route list down the side to count how many stops to go:-

https://busrouter.sg/#/services/131

Mentioned in this post
Mount Faber
Mount Faber
318 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Henderson Waves
Henderson Waves
518 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Kent Ridge Park
Kent Ridge Park
50 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Vivo City
Vivo City
1,264 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,911 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Southern Ridges suggestion

Sorry for all the detailed instructions...LOL. I researched the heck out of the Southern Ridges and did the whole walk in two sections on two different trips.

Mentioned in this post
The Southern Ridges
The Southern Ridges
967 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
2,028 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Southern Ridges suggestion

No apology needed- such details are what I wanted! We didn't do the Sentosa Monorail last time, so would like to do it this time.

Thanks for your help on my second time around. :)

Edited: 12 May 2018, 11:31
Mentioned in this post
Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,911 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Southern Ridges suggestion

There are lots of other options too, you can start it from any section in either direction and use taxi, or finish it and end up near a bus stop to head elsewhere for other sightseeing. I found it was good to start rather early morning before it got too hot, I started by 7.30/8am. I could walk for a few hours, staying cool with lots of bottled water. Then I had to get back to my hotel to shower, change and rest as I wasn’t as fit as I thought I was...

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
973 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Southern Ridges suggestion

Thanks for these suggestions Avanti for us too. Booked flights this week and wanting to walk the Southern Ridges this visit. Will read on your free and low cost things to do document in more detail.

Mentioned in this post
The Southern Ridges
The Southern Ridges
967 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,911 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Southern Ridges suggestion

I hope you enjoy it too Mandy.

The National Parks website has information about all the different parks which make up The Southern Ridges:-

https:/…parks-and-nature-reserves

When I was planning my walk I also Googled and found several Blogs by people who had done various sections of it. Great photos on some of the blogs and hints and tips and transport details.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,166 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: The Southern Ridges suggestion

Take note that the Southern Ridges isn't a continuous footbridge, but rather a series of 'park connector' trails (bridges, concrete paths, asphalt paths, boardwalks, stairs) interlinking several nature parks, secondary forest & botanical spots. The nature parks are more serene than scenic. The stairs can be tiring to walk up. The elevated walkways are enjoyable & make for good photo ops. HortPark is a botanical gardens.

The 2 major roads bisecting the route are Henderson Road (Henderson Waves bridges) & Alexandria Road (Alexandria Arch bridge), so these are the locations to drop out & hail a taxi. HortPark is next to Alexandria Arch.

Beyond HortPark, the route becomes more remote. The ending point is at the more-secluded Kent Ridge Park, which like the other nature parks along the route, is more suited for driving up to. Casual hikers can either phone for cabs or private-hire cars to meetup at the car parks; walk out to Science Park Drive (Bus 92 to Kent Ridge MRT) or Vigilante Drive (Bus 200 to Haw Par Villa MRT); or walk down the winding Pepys Drive (to Pasir Panjang MRT). Kent Ridge is a WWII site, & there's a war museum (Reflections At Bukit Chandu) along Pepys Drive.

Edited: 12 May 2018, 15:01
Mentioned in this post
The Southern Ridges
The Southern Ridges
967 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Henderson Waves
Henderson Waves
518 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Kent Ridge Park
Kent Ridge Park
50 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Haw Par Villa
Haw Par Villa
750 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
973 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Southern Ridges suggestion

Just love the Singapore forum, such a helpful crew, always!

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Reply to: The Southern Ridges suggestion
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted