We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much foreign currency to carry for a 12-day trip?

Hyderabad, India
3 posts
Save Topic
How much foreign currency to carry for a 12-day trip?

Hello travel experts and experienced travelers,

I will be traveling to Singapore next week and stay with my brother's family for about 12 days. Most of the theme park tickets etc. may be booked by my brother. We might be spending on traveling within Singapore, buying souvenirs, some shopping, buying gifts etc. Considering that I don't have to spend on hotels and food (most part of it), how many SGD should I carry with me for the trip? I don't want to carry too much as I won't get a good rate of return when I exchange back to INR.

While on that, what should I buy from Singapore? I used to live there a decade ago but things might have changed now.

Regards,

Rajani

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
4 replies to this topic
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,166 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How much foreign currency to carry for a 12-day trip?

I understand that you can take only 25,000 rupees out of India, which converts to SGD $495 (or SGD $41 pocket money per day for 12 days).

The consensus among regulars here is to budget for $100 per day. Bring a credit card?

What to buy from Singapore: Besides souvenirs (visiting Mustafa, Bugis Street, & Chinatown will give you lots of ideas), jewelry (which Indian nationals love) & perhaps the latest electronic goods (prices are highly controlled though), the most fun is arguably Japanese discount chains like Daiso, Muji, Miniso & Don Don Donki where shopping for low-cost household items is utterly addictive.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Bugis Street
Bugis Street
1,690 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Chinatown
Chinatown
11,679 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
California
Level Contributor
3,506 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much foreign currency to carry for a 12-day trip?

I wouldn't worry about having too much Singapore dollars because you can always give it to your brother's family.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Level Contributor
1,807 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much foreign currency to carry for a 12-day trip?

The difference in exchange rate between buying and selling INR at moneychangers is probably 1.8INR to 1 SGD. So the spread is pretty minimal in my opinion.

Jakarta
Level Contributor
61,585 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much foreign currency to carry for a 12-day trip?

Hello

Our standard comfortable tourist approximation is 100sgd per pax/ day. The sum includes all daily meals and drinks, sightseeing tickets, local transport and souvenirs shopping. Airfare and accommodation is, of course, extra.

Reply to: How much foreign currency to carry for a 12-day trip?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted