We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Orchard Road or Little India

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
769 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Orchard Road or Little India

I am looking at hotels in Singapore -- our budget could range from 160 to 320 Singapore $. Hotel Wanderlust is at the lower end of budget (in Little India) but it looks very interesting to me and Hotel Jen on Orchard is at the higher end and is being promoted by a travel agent here. Anyone have any knowledge of either hotel?? They both a 4 star (on Booking.com). I am aware that the surrounds in Little India might be a bit less formal but maybe Orchard road is too rigid / manicured??

Any ideas / suggestions of which we might book -- or any other ideas for alternative accommodation. I use this forum for a lot of our trip planning and always find it extremely useful. Thank you. We will be in Singapore in Octoebr for just 4 nights.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Wanderlust
Wanderlust
881 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Little India
Little India
3,458 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Orchard Road
Orchard Road
11,183 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
16 replies to this topic
LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
13,845 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Orchard Road or Little India

I think you have worked out the difference. wanderlust is a small quirky boutique hotel ( 3 * ) in a less expensive area and Hotel Jen Orchard is a 4* chain hotel with the usual facilities in a prime area.

Which ever type floats your boat personally I would go with Hotel Jen ( though you top end budget should get better properties like Fairmont and Swissotel Stamford in City Hall and may be Panpacific Marina depending on your dates,

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
10,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Orchard Road or Little India

How about One Farrer Hotel and Spa? It is also located in Little India but is a larger and newer hotel. The rates for the entry-level rooms can be quite reasonable on third party websites. They have a variety of room types to suit different needs. The outdoor Olympic-sized pool is quite impressive. There is also a more private pool for Skyline guests (these rooms come with club lounge privileges).

Hotel Jen Orchardgateway is modern and stylish. It is part of the Shangri-La Hotel group but with a more casual and youthful vibe. The Infinity pool on Level 19 has a poolside bar and offers a panoramic view of the surrounding city skyline. The location is convenient but the rates can be high. Orchard Road is a shopping belt so is busy on weekends. in many cities, the most popular area to stay is a place full of malls so it really depends on your preferences. Btw, there is another sister property, Hotel Jen Tanglin, at the Tanglin end of Orchard Road that is priced lower but is a longer walk from the MRT station.

If you prefer boutique hotels, The Vagabond Club is also in Little India area and is at the upper end of your budget. It does not have a pool.

Mentioned in this post
Little India
Little India
3,458 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Hotel Jen Orchardgateway Singapore
Hotel Jen Orchardgateway...
2,288 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Orchard Road
Orchard Road
11,183 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Hotel Jen Tanglin Singapore
Hotel Jen Tanglin...
937 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
769 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Orchard Road or Little India

Thank you -- yes I thought that would be the story.p ersonally i'd prefer the less 'americanised' type hotel (will have to sell it to BF) and to stay in a real 'local area' - e.g. Little India. I see that you are local expert - thank you. Do you have any ideas of other good places in Little india -- round the same budget (as I see a few 'bad reports' of Wanderlust' in TA) an i am awrae that every place will have a few disgruntled customers!! -- any help much appreciated -- thank you

Mentioned in this post
Little India
Little India
3,458 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
13,845 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Orchard Road or Little India

Little India typically has lower end properties. The smaller hotels/boutique hotels in the area tend to have small rooms and smaller bathrooms, sometime with no windows and thin walls. One Farrer ( more of a big hotels) and Vagabond club are notable exceptions in the area.

If you have a budget of $300, I suspect you are used to a particular standard of comfort that you won’t find in little India outside those mentioned minxbaby.

Edited: 11 May 2018, 00:10
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
10,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Orchard Road or Little India

A true area with local flavour is Tiong Bahru, which is one of the oldest housing estates in Singapore and is located not too far from downtown. Wangz is the best hotel in that area and the famous Tiong Bahru Market is nearby. It does not have a pool. It is actually walkable to Tiong Bahru MRT station but if you are not used to the humidity, the easiest way is via a bus. The hotel also has a shuttle bus.

Edited: 11 May 2018, 00:40
Mentioned in this post
Tiong Bahru
Tiong Bahru
Singapore, Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Wangz Hotel
Wangz Hotel
1,350 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
California
Level Contributor
2,238 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Orchard Road or Little India

I'm not a Singapore hotel expert by any stretch, but when we lived in Singapore, we did so on Cairnhill Road, and looked down on Orchard Road. We much preferred going to neighborhoods like Little India over the materialist splendor of Orchard Road.

BTW I'm not in agreement that Orchard Road is "americanized"....no huge parking lots.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Orchard Road
Orchard Road
11,183 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Little India
Little India
3,458 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
10,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Orchard Road or Little India

Another interesting local area is Katong/Joo Chiat, formerly a Pernakan enclave. Today, it is home to a private-home museum (prior appt needed), the Eurasian Heritage Centre, a handful of malls, rows of conserved shophouses, quaint shops and eateries. Hotel Indigo is a nice choice, with an infinity pool overlooking the area. The location is further from the city centre and getting to the MRT station entails taking a bus first. There are some buses that you can ride to get to downtown (about 30-40mins' ride).

Edited: 11 May 2018, 01:48
Surat, India
Level Contributor
60 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Orchard Road or Little India

Leezy.. i agree with minxbaby.. i myself have booked one farrer hotel & spa for october month..5nights; its a grt property and easily accessible to all nearby market.. but incase u want cosy n bit lonely time go for jen tenglin or park regis..

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
769 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Orchard Road or Little India

Liars NF -- sorry if I insulted you - that was not meant to be anything other than a 'throwaway remark'!!

Now - I think we have narrowed our decision down to the One Farror, many thanks for all your help. However, I still would like to try one of the smaller boutique hotels in Little India for a few nights -- please anyone just give me the name of the one you would book if you were me!! I love everything Indian and India. Small rooms not too much of a problem - but cleanliness a necessity. Many thanks - what a great forum!

Mentioned in this post
Little India
Little India
3,458 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
10,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Orchard Road or Little India

The location won't be much different so I don't know if there is any real benefit to changing hotels. A lot of people have thought the same as you, that they don't mind small rooms as long as it is clean. The truth is, hotels that are lower-priced don't just have smaller rooms but won't be as meticulous in cleaning or repair as labour costs money and room turnover needs to be fast if the rates are low to maximise profits. Some do not clean the room every day.

Does Vagabond Club appeal to you? If not, then perhaps give Wanderlust a try. The Great Madras is a very new and clean boutique hotel that looks really quaint and pretty in photos and remarkably has a small swimming pool. Some factors make me hesitant to recommend it though. It has a hostel section so the clientele is going to be very mixed. Soundproofing doesn't seem to be good. There is a bar nearby and certain rooms will be exposed to loud music till 2.30am. Key cards may fail and need to be reset during your stay. There is no wardrobe (a common problem for hotels with small rooms) or fridge.

Edited: 11 May 2018, 02:47
Mentioned in this post
Chennai (Madras)
Chennai (Madras)
Chennai District, India
Reply to: Orchard Road or Little India
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted