We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Medications

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Medications

Hi we’ve got a 2 night stay on our way to Australia this December. I suffer with bad asthma and I always have to keep a supply of antibiotics and steroids with me if I’m away in case I have a bad phase. I’ve heard you can get into trouble for taking certain medication into Singapore. Would my medication be a problem for me?

Thanks for any info x

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
1 reply
Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
9,952 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Medications

Short answer: someone telling you this stuff doesnt really know what they are talking about or are trying to wind you up.

Long answer:

Yes whoever you heard from is correct in that bringing the wrong medication into Singapore the wrong way can land you in trouble. However, if thats where they stopped and didnt properly elaborate then the comment is at best unhelpful and at worst panic inducing and obstructive. Exactly the same statement could be made for the UK, the rest of Europe, the USA etc so the nugget of information saying trouble could ensue lacks anything useful like context, content or relevant guidance as to applicability.

So yes, turn up at Singapore and be caught taking two hundred undocumented opiate tablets in and you are in deep and sinking fast, making the statement technically correct but of no use to you who are simply proposing carrying some personal medication for asthma that has been legitimately prescribed to you which is completely the other end of the spectrum.

The source for ehat to do is the HSA in Singapore. There specific page for this is here

hsa.gov.sg/content/hsa/en/Health_Products_Re…

It boils down to three options.

If the medication is over the counter in Singapore, then you can freely bring in reasonable quantities and do not declare them. If you have meds that are prescription only in Singapore then you do the same but you have a copy of your prescription with you, or a doctors note if say it was over the counter at home.

The only complicated issue is if the med is on the Appendix A listed in that page I linked. If it is then before you can bring it in then you have to obtain an import licence in advance of travel. Thats pretty trivial having done it and unlikely to include anything on your list given its psychotropics and narcotics etc

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Reply to: Medications
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted