We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Singapore to JB during Christmas

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
30 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Singapore to JB during Christmas

Hi! Planning to go out of Singapore to celebrate Christmas, would anyone advise how bad will be traffic like if we go to JB? I'm travelling with a toddler with me by the way, and we plan to take the bus from Changi or the taxi from Queen St

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Changi Airport
Changi Airport
Singapore, Singapore
8 replies to this topic
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
2,611 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Singapore to JB during Christmas

Taxi from Queen Street...

It will be absolute mayhem & monster traffic jams for passengers travelling on Christmas Eve or Day via public or express buses...

Forget about trying it with a toddler... don't take the Cross Border Transtar bus ..

In the heavy traffic , there will be public buses , express buses , tour coaches for Package Tour travellers..

During morning & evening peak hours , add in the buses that transports Malaysians working in Singapore...

Edited: 18 December 2017, 01:40
Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11,241 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Singapore to JB during Christmas

Since you have made such a journey during public holidays before, I think you have a rough idea what to expect. No one can tell you exactly what will happen on the day. So many variables can come into play eg the immigration system could be down, holiday makers travelling from other countries, etc.

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
13,933 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Singapore to JB during Christmas

Looks like there are still train seats available on the 24 and 25th. There is no other way I would want to do this journey over the holidays.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Singapore to JB during Christmas

The best way would be via train (but subjected to booking availability. The bus and car lanes are completely packed daily (even on weekdays!)

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
5,004 posts
958 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Singapore to JB during Christmas

#3 "Looks like there are still train seats available on the 24 and 25th"

Precisely, for the outward journey on the Dec 24th there are seats only on the trains since 6pm onwards

The worst, for the return on the 25th there are only seats on the trains since dawn to 7am

For the return on the 26th, there are still seats only on the 11am train

easybook.com/train/…woodland-to-jbsentral

North Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Rhodes
Level Contributor
6,691 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Singapore to JB during Christmas

It’s not a journey I’d make by road transport over any festive season. Walking might be quicker. ( that’s a joke, not sarcasm. ) unless you have very compelling reasons for doing it, another time might be better. It’ll be a nightmare and with a little one, a double nightmare. imvho.

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,722 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Singapore to JB during Christmas

Best option will be by train. $5 for a ticket. Other options either by cross border taxi or bus will be terrible. The crowd will be maddening regardless of the time you cross over to JB. Be prepared to be stuck for at least 4-5 hrs or more if you are traveling by road on either 24th or 25th Dec.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Singapore to JB during Christmas

Best avoid if you can. It is unpredictable during this period. Even if the bus crossing over is a breeze, awaits you are both the custom clearing that may take hours... especially at MY side.

Went in on Monday, causeway was empty but before SG custom clearing by cars, super long queue. I thought I was happy when I cleared SG custom (few people), but when I got down stair to take bus, The bus queue was already near to the stair way. Someone complained from forum, few buses that day.

I managed to get onto one of those factory bus pay RM2/pax (not at public bus bay). Quickly cross over into MY custom, clearing was ok, waited 15min... not bad, But after I cleared, the queue became longer. My colleague went in earlier only managed to cleared alter me because he was waiting for SMRT/SBS transit buses.

So planning so close to Christmas is no-no for me. Went in once on 28 Dec, MY custom clearing took 1 hour.. not bad already. Of course, my normal is usually go in on weekdays to avoid any such issue. Even then there are the occasional "Stuck" due to .... ??? I also don't know why.

Reply to: Singapore to JB during Christmas
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;