We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taxi/uber/grab in Singapore

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
taxi/uber/grab in Singapore

Hi, my husband and I will take our daughter to visit Singapore for the second time in Feb, 2018. This time we will stay in the city, not on Sentosa (the hotle price on Sentosa in Feb is not that friendly to us). I am just wondering:

1. is it necessary to have uber/grab app on my smartphone? if so, in what way shall I pay for it? by credit card or cash?

2. after visiting GBTB and watching the light show at night, is it very difficult to get a taxi to go back to the hotel (thinking of staying at holiday inn atrium)? or shall we use uber/grab?

3. similar with that, we are thinking of going to the East Coast Park. Is is difficult to go back to the hotel after sunset?

thanks a lot!

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
East Coast Park
East Coast Park
1,074 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
23 replies to this topic
Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11,217 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: taxi/uber/grab in Singapore

You have to go to the designated taxi stand at GBTB. Not difficult to find taxis there. Cars can't just stop anywhere in the downtown areas.

…gardensbythebay.com.sg/en/…gardens-map.html

Not sure about taxi situation at East Coast Park. You can always call for one if you can't find a taxi. The taxi company also has its own app. https:/…commuters_services_booking.mvn

For Uber and Grab, of course you need to have the app installed. You can choose to pay by cash or credit card. Beware of surge pricing.

Mentioned in this post
East Coast Park
East Coast Park
1,074 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Beijing, China
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: taxi/uber/grab in Singapore

thank you so much for the information.

what do you mean by surging prices of uber/grab? is it different from taking a taxi?

what I worry about is that after the light show, lots of people will go to the designated spot to wait for the taxi, and then there will be a long quene. Or maybe we ccould walk to the famous Sands hotel and get a taxi at its front door.

Last time we stayed at Oriental Hotel at the marina bay area and after the light show we just walked back to the hotel, seeing tons of people going to the subway station.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11,217 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: taxi/uber/grab in Singapore

Taxis run on meter and there is 25% surcharge from 6pm. For private hire vehicles, the price is dynamic depending on demand so it can be a lot more than taxi if you don't pay attention.

Recently someone also took taxi after the GBTB light show and fedback it was pretty easy to get one.

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
10,031 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: taxi/uber/grab in Singapore

Uber (and possibly Grab, I 'm not sure) can operate surge charging, meaning at busy times they can rack their rates up.

Taxis have fixed fares and even for busy periods, or antisocial periods of time then the surcharges are fixed along with all other fare details for rank pickups and regular bookings.

Another point to note since you mention your daughter - many cars operating on apps like Uber are merely private hired cars not taxis and so do not get the taxi exemption for child seats, meaning you would have to hire a seat if necessary.

The GrabTaxi app, if I remember correctly, only uses licenced taxis and so is Ok on this point.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: taxi/uber/grab in Singapore

got it! thanks again!

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: taxi/uber/grab in Singapore

Thanks for the clarification. So I will mainly choose taxisor try Grab if it is necessary.

One of my colleagues went to Singapore during the spring festival. She complained that: one, so many resturants were closed; two, so difficult to get a taxi because people go home to spend the spring festival together with their family members.

We will leave Singapore on Feb, 12, before the spring festival.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Level Contributor
1,159 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: taxi/uber/grab in Singapore

the Grab app also includes private cars (and 40 seater buses), if you want a cab, be sure to tap on the 'taxi' option. there will be a booking fee, so you have to add $2.30 to the final fare for taxis. Paying with credit card is definitely more convenient (no need to fumble with change).

Spring Festival aka Chinese New Year? it's probably the one or 2 times of the year where many businesses would close but tourist attractions would remain open.

both uber and grab now have options with car seats for your child if needed.

Singapore
Level Contributor
1 post
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: taxi/uber/grab in Singapore

You can also download this taxi app ComfortDelGro Taxi Booking App by ComfortDelGro Corporation Limited

https:/…

Available in Android Play store too.

Comfort taxi accepts Alipay.

For Uber or Grab, you can choose to pay with credit card.

Phoenix
Level Contributor
259 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: taxi/uber/grab in Singapore

We used Uber to travel all around Singapore this summer and it was convenient and easy. We ate at GBTB after the light show so we did not have any problems getting an Uber then. The only time it was a little crazy was after the MBS light show - we got on Uber as it was ending to make sure we grabbed an Uber ride quickly and then had to hustle to the pick up spot as everyone was streaming out.

There is a special branch of Uber in Singapore now for people that need carseats - one of our drivers had to remove the carseat he had just used for the previous family and he told us due to the carseat regulations now they have them available, but I believe it is a specific type of Uber you have to request to get the carseat.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Bangkok
Level Contributor
789 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: taxi/uber/grab in Singapore

1. is it necessary to have uber/grab app on my smartphone? if so, in what way shall I pay for it? by credit card or cash?

>>> It would be convenient to have those apps. But in all honesty, I'm sure you will find taxis on the street.

Pay in cash, cos cash is king. If there are disputes, credit card is more troublesome.

2. after visiting GBTB and watching the light show at night, is it very difficult to get a taxi to go back to the hotel (thinking of staying at holiday inn atrium)? or shall we use uber/grab?

>>> GBTB should end in time for you to still catch public transport. You can easily walk over to MBS to get a taxi there. Lots of taxis at MBS. Heck, you could also catch the train. But if you are in a rush, use uber/grab. I think many will be doing that too so have fun spotting your ride.

3. similar with that, we are thinking of going to the East Coast Park. Is is difficult to go back to the hotel after sunset?

>>> ECP is great. You can use the underpass to get from Marine Parade to ECP.

Lots of taxis here and if you can't get it then cross over to Marine Parade where there are many taxis available.

Singapore is not as backward as you think it is. There are many choices for public transport at any time in the day, and night.

Mentioned in this post
East Coast Park
East Coast Park
1,074 Reviews
Singapore, Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
Reply to: taxi/uber/grab in Singapore
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted