We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving or Public transport

Which Singapore hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kuala Lumpur...
3 posts
Save Topic
Driving or Public transport

Hi, im going to singapore this weekend and am thinking of driving my car from Malaysia. but i heard the public transport is good (especially MRT)...

im going with my inlaws and my 2 kids and will be going for a day to the city center only.... and will be entering from the woodlands entry point.

any recommendations?

North Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
4,882 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving or Public transport

Park your car at Woodlands, and take MRT into the city. Getting around Singapore couldn't be easier, public transport is second to none.

Have a great day. Alan.

p.s. Download a city centre and MRT maps,, print them off for your convenience.

A blind man with a wooden leg can find his way round Singapore city, it's that easy..

p.ps. Even taxis are inexpensive.

Edited: 29 November 2012, 03:20
Brazil, Indiana
Level Contributor
120 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving or Public transport

Much better for you to have source of transpo. It is not more consumable.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
97 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving or Public transport

I think the answer is very subjective. It depends on where and how many places you are going to visit in Singapore. Nevertheless, as you have 2 kids with you, it might be a better idea to have own transport for ease of travelling.

However, do note the following cost when driving in Singapore:

1. ERP charges during peak hour

onemotoring.com.sg/publish/…ERP_Rates.html

2. Parking Fee (onemotoring.com.sg/publish/…)

Compare the above cost with commuting via Taxi/MRT (gothere.sg) and you should be able to make decision.

By the way, do you know that a Malaysia transport operator Transtar Crossborder has a service that runs from JB to orchard road in Singapore?

regentstar.travel/crossborder/ts8_scheWE.html

Have you considered parking your car at a safe place in JB?

Have a great trip.

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,563 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving or Public transport

Besides the cost of driving (ERP and parking fees), there is also the problem of having adequate parking space in the places that you are going to.

It would probably be better to take the MRT trains. Do note that the StanChart marathon is on this weekend and there will be extensive road closures in the downtown area for this event. Check the list of closed roads here.

onemotoring.com.sg/publish/…20roads.pdf

Singapore
Level Contributor
2,563 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving or Public transport

Roads around Orchard, Marina Bay and Sentosa are affected.

http://marathonsingapore.com/road-closures/

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
10,865 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving or Public transport

With all the road closures it makes sense to use public transport I think. That said, they are re-opening the roads as soon as possible eg the full marathon starts on Orchard Road at 0500 and the roads around that area are scheduled to re-open at 0730. But other areas (around the finishing point) aren't due to re-open until late afternoon.

Edited: 30 November 2012, 06:15
7. Re: Driving or Public transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 17:17