We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Singapore duty free cigarettes and alcohol limitations

Which Singapore hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Singapore duty free cigarettes and alcohol limitations

Can you carry cigarettes and alcohol purchased from another country into Singapore? At the same time can you buy cigarettes and alcohol in Singapore and take them with you when you fly out?

90 replies to this topic
LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
12,583 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Singapore duty free cigarettes and alcohol limitations

Yes you can bring cigarettes into Singapore after paying duty ( no dutyfree allowance) on tobacco. Yes you can bring in alcohol tax free up to your duty free allowance, any more and you will need to pay duty.

Yes, you can take anything out of Singapore regardless of where it was purchased. Best put alcohol in your checked luggage when leaving because of the 100ml liquids rule ( or buy at the dutyfree shops on departure).

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Singapore duty free cigarettes and alcohol limitations

Thanks for the reply. Does this mean that I can buy cigarettes duty free once we have cleared customs immigration in Singapore?

LON-SIN
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
12,583 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Singapore duty free cigarettes and alcohol limitations

You can buy duty free cigarettes after passport control when you leave. You can buy duty free alcohol on arrival as well, before immigration in the transit area.

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
7,683 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Singapore duty free cigarettes and alcohol limitations

Singapore customs have a travel guide on allowances here

http://www.customs.gov.sg/leftNav/trav/Customs+Guide+for+Travellers.htm

Cigarettes are always dutiable in Singapore itself, and there is no personal allowance for duty free import on your person - no, not even one open packet as some people say, customs sometimes use there discretion on that but it is not an allowance).

As such the only duty free tobacco available is airside when you are leaving - none available duty free landside on arrival, and none importable or purchased airside without paying duty. There is also a 400gram limit of importing tobacco and paying the duty unless you have a pre-arranged Customs permit.

Alcohol is available duty free on arrival - its airside but there is no separation of arriving and departing passengers so you just use the shops in the departure lounge. Limits are of the order that you find commonly round the world. Precise details are in that guide I linked. Again there is an upper limit of carrying in alcohol even if you pay duty (10litres) - like tobacco more than that limit requires a full import permit to be obtained in advance - though the ability of someone to carry 10litres of alcohol is lower than the ability of someone to carry 400g of tobacco....

The last point is if you are arriving from Malaysia you get no alcohol allowance.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Singapore duty free cigarettes and alcohol limitations

/Great, thanks to all for the replies

Sydney
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Singapore duty free cigarettes and alcohol limitations

What is the amount of duty payable on one cigar and 30 grams of pipe tobacco? How much do I have to pay on arrival in Singapore? Thanks. Barry

7. Re: Singapore duty free cigarettes and alcohol limitations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 28 September 2012, 20:05

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
7,683 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Singapore duty free cigarettes and alcohol limitations

Costs are here, they calculate to the nearest gram for the costs

http://www.customs.gov.sg/leftNav/trad/val/List+of+Dutiable+Goods.htm

Tobacco starts at code 24011010 and goes from there. There is variation but is slight.....so just under 35cents per gram for loose tobacco, just over 35cents per gram for prepared cigars.

sydney australia
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Singapore duty free cigarettes and alcohol limitations

Depends on where you want to buy your ciggies.

I was travelling from Bali to Singapore to Sydney, and at $16 a carton in Bali, some reseach and I discovered a baggage storage area airside.

In Terminal 3 it is near the Adidas shop - and I left my ciggies there for 3 days cost me $9 SGD.

Once I left them, I proceeded to Immigration and Customs - and did the same on my departure.

Edited: 01 October 2012, 01:03
Sydney
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Singapore duty free cigarettes and alcohol limitations

Thanks for quick replies. I suppose one just has to pay. I weighed my two cigars for smoking in Singapore which comes to about $6 duty payable. It is not really clear to me why Singapore wants you to pay. Is this so you buy in Singapore and the duty is a deterrent? Might put some people off going to Singapore from now on. I April, Qantas will not be flying there so true blue Aussies, who only fly Qantas, will not be going there anymore which loses a lot of stopover passengers and now this duty!. Barry

Reply to: Singapore duty free cigarettes and alcohol limitations
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted