We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Hawker Centre and Best Markets - any advice please?

Which Singapore hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Colchester, UK
Level Contributor
48 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Best Hawker Centre and Best Markets - any advice please?

We will be in Singapore next week on our first visit and would love to try the food at a Hawker centre. Are some our touristy than others or are they all used by the locals? Can anyone let me know their favourite please?

Also, we love markets - especially food markets - where should we go?

Thanks

Lynn

Luxembourg
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
4,557 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Hawker Centre and Best Markets - any advice please?

hi, for hawker centers you may consider

- Makansutra Gluttons Bay, a small set of stalls but you dine alfresco by the Marina

- Lau Pa Sat, you eat under a giant victorian-like white iron roof. At night, outside on the sreet there are a set of stalls selling satays.

- Smith street, in Chinatown, at evening the street is closed to the traffic and you eat on table set up right on the street

These 3 are touristy place but a lot of locals also come to eat too. Many other places and I guess other members you give you their favorite places :)

Singapore
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Hawker Centre and Best Markets - any advice please?

i always always recommend Maxwell Food Court. It's only across from the Chinatown Night Market in Smith Street that huow mentioned so you can visit both!

However, avoid 12nn - 130pm on weekdays coz the office crowd comes out for lunch then and it does get hard to find a seat, even to share.

Colchester, UK
Level Contributor
48 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Hawker Centre and Best Markets - any advice please?

Thanks to both of you for your advice - looking forward to it so much!

By the way - is there much rain at the moment??!!

Level Contributor
1 post
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Hawker Centre and Best Markets - any advice please?

Yes, there has been quite a bit of rain the past few days- ranging from thunderstorms to light showers.

Edited: 11 April 2011, 22:42
Colchester, UK
Level Contributor
48 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Hawker Centre and Best Markets - any advice please?

Not what I wanted to hear really!!!!! are they quite short thunderstorms/showers - do we need to take waterproofs? Or just an umbrella and crossed fingers?

:)

North Yorkshire...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
5,130 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Hawker Centre and Best Markets - any advice please?

Certainly not waterproofs, you'd get wet from the inside out because of perspiration. Mostly the rain comes in short, sharp showers, you would be very unlucky indeed to have a whole day when it rained continuously.

The rain in Singapore is nothing like the rain in the UK, it's seldom dreary, never cold, in fact it can be quite exciting.

It's seldom, if ever spoilt our days, or changed our plans.

Enjoy. Alan.

p,s, . imho , Maxwell's hawker is about the most authentic, in the city that is.

Edited: 11 April 2011, 23:39
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Hawker Centre and Best Markets - any advice please?

Makansutra Gluttons Bay, Lau Pa Sat, Smith street are touristy are slightly overpriced. I do not recommend Newton - that's terribly over priced. The only good thing about them - they are central.

For authentic hawker fare and really good one, I only recommend "Old Airport Road Hawker" at Kallang (5-10min cab ride from Suntec/Cityhall area, it has variety of quality hawker food. Locals go there. Maxwell is good but during the night, food choices get lesser.

Re: Rain > Just a brolly will do

Singapore
Level Contributor
212 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Hawker Centre and Best Markets - any advice please?

The hawker centres you choose might depend on the places you want to visit. Chinatown Complex Food Centre and Maxwell Hawker Centre are both at Chinatown. Lau Pa Sat is in the financial district, near Raffles Place MRT station. Old Airport Rd Hawker Centre is near Dakota or Kallang MRT stations but is in a housing estate, not near any attraction. Be prepared for long queues at the more popular stalls during lunch hour. If you're visiting Arab street, there are a few nasi padang shops there.

Rain usually comes in short heavy bursts so it's good to carry an umbrella if you don't want to wait half an hour or more for the rain to taper down. It only rains for long periods during the monsoon season.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,079 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Hawker Centre and Best Markets - any advice please?

I do like the East Coast Lagoon Food Village. It is a lovely al-fresco dining by the beach. Not many tourists head that way. You should try! It is 15-mins by taxi from the city on the East Coast.

Colchester, UK
Level Contributor
48 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Hawker Centre and Best Markets - any advice please?

Thanks everyone for your advice - I like the sound of of everything! We leave tonight so I am going to print all this info and go and pack my suitcase!

And I am sitting here thinking - isn't this all incredible - that I can sit here in England and 'chat' with people all over the world who can give me great information on somewhere I am going to visit thousands of miles away. When I was a young girl (ha, ha!) we would never have dreamed we could do this. (oh dear, I sound sooo old!)

Thanks again, Lynn