We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mactan Airport Transit Time

Philadelphia , PA
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
33 reviews
Mactan Airport Transit Time

Hello everyone,

I am in the early planning stages for a first time trip to the Philippines.

As a novice, apologies in advance as I am sure my questions have been asked countless times before. Unfortunately, I am absolutely clueless trying to search the forums for help.

My flight from Korea arrives at 1:15 AM on a weekday in early May.

On average, what is the average transit time to get through the airport, from landing to getting ready to get onto some type of transport?

Thanks so much for your help.

Steve in the USA

9 replies to this topic
Philippines
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Philippines, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
5,708 posts
672 reviews
1. Re: Mactan Airport Transit Time

around 1 hour. the airport is not that big, but your arrival is a busy time for international flights.

Philadelphia , PA
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
33 reviews
2. Re: Mactan Airport Transit Time

To al22tecc,

Thanks so much for your help.

Much appreciated!

Have a good day.

Steve in the USA

Level Contributor
1,389 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: Mactan Airport Transit Time

1 hour is too long to get through. 30 minutes is more likely.

Cebu City...
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
12,354 posts
53 reviews
4. Re: Mactan Airport Transit Time

Things must have changed then, I was not aware that lots of international flights landed early morning.

My own experience is that the most amount of time you will spend any where in the process is waiting for the luggage at the carousel. Immigration is fast. Customs is fast.

If you want to catch a taxi, turn right after you exit the arrivals hall and walk along the footpath for a 100 metres or so until you see the taxis. There will be yellow airport taxis and standard white taxis. White taxis are cheaper but if there is a long queue for a white taxi and no queue for a yellow taxi, get in a yellow taxi as the price difference for a foreigner will be minimal.

You will be handed a slip of paper as you enter the taxi. It is for you to keep. It will have the taxi details in case you need to report the driver for not following the rules or in case you leave something in the taxi. First rule is, the driver must use the meter.

Do not get side tracked by any offers what so ever between exiting the arrivals hall and getting in a taxi.

Philippines
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Philippines, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
5,708 posts
672 reviews
5. Re: Mactan Airport Transit Time

BigJim, there are something like 10 international flights arriving from 12 midnight to 2am. This is the basis why I said it is very busy. My 1 hour estimate actually includes the delay for vehicles to enter the arrival area, or going over to the taxi stand. On several occasions when I needed to pickup arriving passengers sometime at midnight, entering the arrival area will have a long line of cars lining up trying to enter, being held at the vehicle security check going into the arrivals.

It doesn't help that the road is narrowed because they have closed the lanes for the ramp going towards the terminal under construction.

Cebu City...
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
52 reviews
6. Re: Mactan Airport Transit Time

I would agree with 1 hr. It is the busiest window at International arrival area. Going in the arrival area is horrible with all the vehicles coming in.

Philadelphia , PA
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
33 reviews
7. Re: Mactan Airport Transit Time

To Giorgio O,

Thank you for your thoughts.

Much appreciated.

Steve in the USA

Philadelphia , PA
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
33 reviews
8. Re: Mactan Airport Transit Time

To Big Jim 61,

Many, many thanks for your help. I greatly appreciate it.

It really is a wonderful thing to have help from people like you. As a first timer, and as a senior citizen, this will be an all new experience for me. I have been into and out of Hong Kong International Airport for the past 15 years, but Cebu and the airport there will be a brand new experience.

Thanks for the helping hand.

Steve in the USA

Philadelphia , PA
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
33 reviews
9. Re: Mactan Airport Transit Time

Also........

To al22tecc and bodieandtheblowfish, thanks for your help as well.

My travel agent agrees with your thoughts when I asked her about my arrival time in Cebu.

She assured me that all the Airport support services I may need will be open at that time.

I will budget an hour or so to get through, and if it's less than that, great.

Thanks again to both of you.

Steve in the USA

Reply to: Mactan Airport Transit Time
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted