We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Departure Tax on Cebu International terminal?

Heemsen, Germany
6 posts
Save Topic
Departure Tax on Cebu International terminal?

Last time we visited Phl was 2015 (3 years ago). I never wanted to come back again so I managed to get rid of all the Pisos before getting through security at the airport. Wanted to proceed to customs and further to gate... BOOM!!! Pay here this 'how-dare-you-leave' head tax (Departure Fee or whatever they called this). For 2 adults and 2 kids quite a big sum, and I had no Pisos any more!!! With grinding teeth I had to go back to those ripping-off money changers at the airport and pay this damn huge fees, almost missing our flight.

I know some other countries have Terminal fees too payable at the departure but most civilized countries have smaller terminal fee included in the price of the ticket. But my wife is a Filipina from Visayas so despite the bad experiences we will travel there again.

So please tell me if I should still expect this head tax again and how much is it now, how much should I keep cash until the last moment?

Mentioned in this post
Visayas
Visayas
Philippines
12 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
1,339 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Departure Tax on Cebu International terminal?

@Paul

I suggest you should not come again to the Philippines if travel tax bothers you to death. That's what it is here. I understand your sentiment maybe because your funds are limited. Just tell your wife to travel elsewhere outside the Philippines.

Mentioned in this post
Leyte Island...
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Departure Tax on Cebu International terminal?

Yes. P750 per person for the terminal fee.

If your Asawa is still using a Filipino passport, she will either have a travel tax to pay or a travel tax exemption to pay.

Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Departure Tax on Cebu International terminal?

Stay in your "civilized" country.

Leyte Island...
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Departure Tax on Cebu International terminal?

Just out of curiosity, I checked departure tax for Germany.

It is a 3 tier system costing between EUR 7.50, EUR 23.43 or EUR 42.18 depending on where the flight is too.

A flight from Germany to Philippines has a departure tax of EUR 42.18. That is about P2700 pisos. Or about P2000 more than you pay at the Mactan Cebu International Airport.

Mentioned in this post
Mactan Island
Mactan Island
Cebu Island, Philippines
Metro Manila...
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
19,662 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Departure Tax on Cebu International terminal?

Marrying a Thai or Chinese or Korean or Malaysian or Japanese or Mongolian et al is a good way to avoid the Philippines.

Mentioned in this post
Heemsen, Germany
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Departure Tax on Cebu International terminal?

Richard what I wanted to say was, that in other countries you may not run into such a desperate situation. But yes I agree with you I shall better stay in some civilized country. Un/fortunately I happened to marry a girl from not next door which brings with itself many good things but also bad ones.

Heemsen, Germany
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Departure Tax on Cebu International terminal?

This Departure tax bothers me really much. Especially that instead of including it with the ticket price they give you this "nice" surprise when you are already out of the local cash. And yes, my funds are really limited, perhaps you are not in this category so good for you, you don't need to bother.

But my wife is with me in Europe since 2010 and we have 2 lovely kids. She wants to visit her family there before her father dies.

Heemsen, Germany
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Departure Tax on Cebu International terminal?

Jim thank you for the info. My wife is still having only Filipino passport. Could you please tell me what other tax she (i.e. me for her) has to pay? What is the travel tax exemption?

philippines
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Philippines, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
5,250 posts
639 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Departure Tax on Cebu International terminal?

the 750 is called a terminal fee. all airports have that. except with most airports, its already in your ticket. if your international flight departs from manila, you wont have a separate collection. unfortunately, cebu has not incorporated the terminal fee for international flights. cebu has incorporated the terminal fee for domestic flights.

the 1620 is a passenger travel tax but this one is for local filipinos or foreigners who are already residents/stayed for like a year. There are certain exemptions to both.

Heemsen, Germany
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Departure Tax on Cebu International terminal?

Jim, the current exchange rate is 60P/€ which would be in the worst case (42,18€) cca 2530P. It's still rather big sum in my opinion, and I am glad I don't have to pay ANYTHING when leaving at any German airport. So I assume it must be included in the airline ticket. And it's up to the airlines to negotiate with the greedy airport authorities to make this damn fee as low as possible, coz I will always shop for airlines tickets according the price as the major factor.

Reply to: Departure Tax on Cebu International terminal?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;