We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mati City's excellent website

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,283 posts
1,878 reviews
Save Topic
Mati City's excellent website

It is incredibly encouraging to see some of the more remote Filipino cities embracing the power of the Internet and keeping their websites current.

Little known Mati (City) is featured in the respected 'Philippine Daily Inquirer' (www.inquirer.net) today as one of four Mindanaoan cities to have that stus confirmed by the national government.

Its website is worth a look, particularly its directory, as while I have not yet ventured there, I gather that it has some great white sand beaches. It is 165 kilometres (three to four hours by road) from Davao City in Davao Oriental:

www.mati.gov.ph

I am gradually requesting TA staff to add Mati accommodation establishments to the TA database. I have also asked TA to separately identify it as a city as any listings will currently be lumped in to all the others for Mindanao as a whole.

22 replies to this topic
Puerto Princesa...
Level Contributor
1,506 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mati City's excellent website

Now we have flights from Puerto Princesa the area is interesting for us.

The problem is that my Embassy advises "only essential Travel".

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,283 posts
1,878 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mati City's excellent website

Perhaps a TA member or site viewer who resides in Davao City (or even Mati!) can advise us if the road between Davao City and Mati is completely - and I mean completely - safe from kidnappers and other minority evil doers.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
15,876 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mati City's excellent website

I have been to Mati more than 4 years ago and I would say that the road condition going to that city is very good and so far I haven't heard of any kidnappings or even presence of terrorists in Mati or anywhere in between (from Davao City). Peace & order statistics can also be found from the official website of Mati.

Edited: 25 June 2012, 17:28
4. Re: Mati City's excellent website

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 June 2012, 20:05

Puerto Princesa...
Level Contributor
1,506 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mati City's excellent website

A friend who comes from Mati city suggested there may soon be flights there.

Checking that out I found that they are hoping to begin flights late 2012 - early 2013, and with a runway length greater than Busuanga, it looks perfect for ATR operations.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
10,283 posts
1,878 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mati City's excellent website

Vetus, or perhaps Q300 or Q400 turboprops if Airphils Express decides to get in on the act.

Let's hope in time that some intrepid TA members can review some hotels, restaurants or tourist attractions in Mati City.

Edited: 27 June 2012, 22:09
Davao City, Davao...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Mati City's excellent website

Hello! The Mati Domestic Airport, officially known as Imelda Romualdez Marcos Domestic Airport has 1.625-kilometer asphalt runway. It finished its renovation perhaps last year, with the completion of Airport Road' construction, which is about a kilometer long from the Davao-Surigao National Highway to the airport's gate.

I've heard that it is going to reopen first quarter this year, and that Cebu Pacific (CEB) would offer Mati-Cebu/Mati-Manila flights. However, it is yet to be confirmed as CEB would still have to wait for the delivery of their newly acquired aircrafts expected to arrive early this year. All these information are shared in a Skyscraper thread by someone (sorry I couldn't remember his name) who claims to have taken these news from his relative who happens to work as an operations supervisor of Cebu Pacific in Cagayan de Oro City.

As to how well the roads are if we want to get there, the government has completely finished the construction of concrete roads from Davao City through Davao del Norte and to Mati City. In fact, the East Coast of Davao Oriental has also excellent roads; so for travelers who would like to go to Surigao, they may opt to pass through the East Coast that offers a majestic view of mountains and the Pacific seas.

About the security, I haven't heard of kidnappings in this area. Terrorism is more relevant in the western part of Mindanao, but not in the east. Davao region is entirely a safe place to travel and have leisure in.

Good news! Metro Magazine January 2013 issue features Dahican Beach, a 2-kilometer cove in Mati City, with pure white sand beach fronting the Pacific Ocean. Besides, well-known celebrities and models took photo shoots in this picturesque place. In it are Enchong Dee, Megan Young, Jessy Mendiola, Joseph Marco, Cristalle Belo, Miko Raval and others.

Kindly check http://www.metromagazine.ph/. You may also want to have your won copy of it!

Mati City is now starting to boom its tourism industry. National and international skimboarding and surfing competitions are now held in Dahican. It was featured in Born to be Wild, and other TV programs. Magazines like Mabuhay and Metro are also taking advantage of its beautiful spots. All these are a good sign that Mati is back.

Once it was known to equally compete with Davao City as both were comandancias of Davao Region then Nueva Gipuscoa, and were economically progressive. There were Mati-Cebu trips via ferries, and the people from Surigao and Agusan came to search for jobs. Menzi Farms was popular as it would export its high quality pomelos and mangoes domestically and internationally. Then suddenly it became dead, along with Bislig, as other towns took the advantages of being close to Davao City and started to open for new ventures. Eventually, they progressed and became cities, while the farther towns were left behind.

But now, Mati is back! And I am very hopeful that it wouldn't take so long to bring back its glory. Matinians have already identified what their key advantages are to economically prosper-the agriculture and tourism. I just wish no politicians would make use of it for personal interests and rather work hand in hand to gradually develop the city and bring in job opportunities for its people.

Best wishes to Mati. Mabuhay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
14,642 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mati City's excellent website

its on our list to get there soon as time permits. There does seem to be limited places to stay.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
15,876 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mati City's excellent website

Hi Mark! Very good information. If there would be flights to Mati I would definitely book one in a jiffy.

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,695 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mati City's excellent website

How long is the bus journey from Davao to Mati?

Thanks.

Reply to: Mati City's excellent website
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Mindanao