We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Will NAIA Terminal 4 become overcrowded?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,038 posts
2,063 reviews
Save Topic
Will NAIA Terminal 4 become overcrowded?

When Tiger Airways (through SE Air) begins its greater number of domestic flights from the end of Juloy and the start of August 2012 with six or seven destinations to be served from Manila NAIA Terminal 4 such as Tacloban and Cebu, how will T4 cope given that it already handles Zest Air flights among others?

Apart from possible passenger congestion, will there be sufficient aircraft hardstand parking space to accommodate both Zest and SE Air?

T4 is the old 'Domestic Air Terminal.'

Edited: 17 June 2012, 10:02
philippines
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Philippines, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
4,441 posts
584 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Will NAIA Terminal 4 become overcrowded?

My take on this is there will surely be passenger congestion because of the added flights, and it will be exacerbated further with more flight delays. Unless the government will push through with their desire to reduce the flight frequencies to regulate the runway traffic(rather than finding ways to expand), which is a dumb to begin with, stifling growth rather than sustaining it.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,038 posts
2,063 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Will NAIA Terminal 4 become overcrowded?

One other way is for the airlines to gradually introduce larger planes.

However many secondary Filipino airports lack the runway length, landing lights at night or other infrastructure (aerobridge, anyone?) to ensure that larger aircraft could be efficiently used for sufficient hours per day. Demand on many routes wouldn't be enough to sustain planes bigger than an A320, Boeing 737 or (to and from smaller towns) an ATR-500, Bombardier Q300 or Q400.

I agree: longer delays waiting to taxi for takeoff and more holding patterns waiting to land will be the result during the day, given the constraints at other airports on operating night flights.

In terms of aircraft landing and takeoffss, Manila is about 10 to 15 per cent busier than Melbourne where I reisde (although Manila is increasing a lot faster) but Manila doesn't handle many more passengers because so many domestic flights are turbo props not A320s, B737s or above.

Of course one other challenge Manila faces is landside infastructure. The road outside T4 is severly congested (Airport Road if I recall).

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
15,428 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Will NAIA Terminal 4 become overcrowded?

Lets not forget that Terminal 4 has been sort of a ghost town (exaggeration) since Cebu Pacific(and who else) pulled out of there a few years ago. The extra flights, will just bring the terminal up to par as to where it was in the past.

The problem is there is never enough seats when planes are delayed now in the terminal for passengers. There are plenty of parking spaces for planes or they can bus passengers to the planes as has been done anyway. I dont think it will be a big impact at all except for the terminal being more crowded.

As things stand now, there are long waits to take off and land.

I am glad to see this as I for one like terminal four and for the longest time they had been talking about closing it. I am a bit surprised though that they dont use Terminal 3 to its fullest though.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,038 posts
2,063 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Will NAIA Terminal 4 become overcrowded?

T3 is supposedly earmarked for more international flights. This is however taking a long time.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
17,834 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Will NAIA Terminal 4 become overcrowded?

Before 1999 Terminal 4 served the only domestic terminal for all destinations of Philippine Airlines, Air Philippines and Cebu Pacific so I bet T4 could handle the flights of Zest Air and Seair. I am more concerned on the air traffic congestion than the physical capabilities of the terminal.

clare,ireland
Level Contributor
5,334 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Will NAIA Terminal 4 become overcrowded?

well zestair are doing best to reduce traffic as they already cancelled mnl-cdo-mnl flights from july onwards and Please be informed that Z2-019 SHANGHAI, CHINA to

MANILA, PHILIPPINES has been CANCELED effective 23 JUNE, 2012 until 27

JULY, 2012 Due to operational requirements

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,038 posts
2,063 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Will NAIA Terminal 4 become overcrowded?

The Zest cancellations are presumably a reaction to the Chinese Government seemingly banning tour groups from China to visit Philippines in the wake of the territorial dispute.

Edited: 17 June 2012, 21:22
Puerto Princesa...
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Will NAIA Terminal 4 become overcrowded?

Looking at the Airport area on Google Earth is relevant to this discussion particularly because it shows an A319/320 waiting for takeoff on Runway 13.

It's quite easy to see how much space there is in front of T4 and, for A319/320 I would suggest a maximum of 4, perhaps 5.

When the terminal was being used by ATRs and BAE146s not such a problem, but now.............

9. Re: Will NAIA Terminal 4 become overcrowded?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 00:17