We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pocket wifi review

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
54 posts
5 reviews
Pocket wifi review

I went to Japan last week. I was there for two weeks. I hired a wifi device from Global Advanced Communications. It cost me around 9,000 yen for two weeks. Delivered to my hotel on arrival. I travelled from Tokyo to Hiroshima, then Takayama then back to Tokyo before heading north to Fukushima. It worked most places. Some of the freeways in the hire car it didn't pick up signal but I had an English GPS.

It was amazing. A real lifesaver. I could Skype, Facebook, email, iMessage text and YouTube. Google maps worked very well and so did apple maps.

If you need any info just send me an email.

Cheers

Level Contributor
1,667 posts
27 reviews
1. Re: Pocket wifi review

Thanks for the handy info - BTW how did the trip go?

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
54 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Pocket wifi review

Hey Elly,

The trip was insane. I loved it. Japan is an incredible place. I'm not sure if it was you I asked about drifting at ebisu circuit but I ended up heading out there for a day and hiring a drift car and drifting the whole day.

I'm going again next year, and the year after. Thanks for your help.

Cheers

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
900 posts
51 reviews
3. Re: Pocket wifi review

Thanks for the recommendation. I've been tossing up about whether I need one of these for my next trip - I've never used one on previous trips and most of my hotels have free wi-fi anyway. But I think the convenience of having a connection while on long train journeys (or just to find where I am when I get lost!) make it a tempting idea. I've read lots of good things about Global Advanced on this board, so I'll go with them if I decide to get one.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
52 reviews
4. Re: Pocket wifi review

I've been using LTE Pocket Wifi GL06P device made by Huawei, one of the popular devices, provided by E-Mobile (Japanese provider for locals for long-term). Unless you go to uninhabited mountain areas, you will have very reliable high speed connection (and my postings are mostly done away from home).

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
54 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: Pocket wifi review

The other thing that I found incredibly useful was a paid app (for iphone) that was a English to japanese translator. Very handy indeed. Type your question in English then it speaks in japanese. Useful for giving taxis your destination.

Level Contributor
1,667 posts
27 reviews
6. Re: Pocket wifi review

I'm glad the drifting experience was good. I did a bit of spot research for you awhile ago. I'm sure lots of others would be keen to do this too - if they knew about it. Japan can be great no matter what you're into, you can always find a group of people there who share the same passion.

It's a fanstastic destination & easy to travel around, It may seem daunting without language skills but local people are usually willing to help out as much as they can.

Thanks for your tips too.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
20 posts
16 reviews
7. Re: Pocket wifi review

Thanks for the info, been considering Global for my trip as well.

1. Was wondering if you rented the extra battery? Do you know if the pocket wifi could be charged using a USB?

2. Would 42mbps be good enough you reckon? I don't need crazy-fast internet, just the normal Google map; basically the same things you used it for.

Cheers!

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
54 posts
5 reviews
8. Re: Pocket wifi review

I didn't bother with the extra battery.

42mb/s will be fine for basic Internet and google maps.

I bought a 25000 mAh portable battery and used the USB cable that came with the pocket wifi. I just left them both connected to each other in my back pack and recharged the external battery when I got to the hotel.

http://bit.ly/1el90UE

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
20 posts
16 reviews
9. Re: Pocket wifi review

Thanks for the info!

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
10. Re: Pocket wifi review

External battery of some kind is a must unless you're close to power outlets the whole time (i.e. working at an office or staying at someone's home).