We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pocket WiFi Rental Experience?

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Pocket WiFi Rental Experience?

Anyone have any experiences with pocket wifi rentals? Global, Pupuru and Rentafone are offering them at reasonable prices now. Softbank is also offering one but it is 2x-3x more expensive for the same thing. I think I am going to try one and not rent a keitai this time and just use Skype from iPhone via a pocket wifi device instead.

283 replies to this topic
Taipei, Taiwan
1 post
1 review
71. Re: Pocket WiFi Rental Experience?

I was using Japan-Wireless service from Sept 3rd to Sept 7th. This is my second times experience. This time I choose au + WiMAX 40Mbps *Unlimited usage. Everything was good, the internet quality was OK and equipped with a free mobile charger. the overall price was lower than Taiwan based wireless rental service provider for traveling in Japan in the condition of same or better offering.

Singapore
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
72. Re: Pocket WiFi Rental Experience?

I rented the Mobile Wifi Router 21Mbp (3G) for 5 days (shared between 2 people).

Service was perfect and great value compared to other similar services. Speeds were excellent and had no signal issues (we visited Osaka, Kyoto, Kobe), and also worked in all the trains (so much better than in Singapore). Mainly used for Google maps and web browsing. The portable rechargeable charger was very handy as well.

I will definitely use them again for my next trip... very soon I hope :-)

Singapore
Level Contributor
324 posts
24 reviews
73. Re: Pocket WiFi Rental Experience?

has anybody rental pocket wifi from tocoo (car rental broker in japan) before?

their rates are the cheapest right now (if I read correctly, just 3.6k yen flat for more than 9 days, excluding delivery 1k and registration 500yen)....

if you have used, how is their delivery service and item quality (coverage, battery life, ease of use?)?

Singapore, Singapore
1 post
74. Re: Pocket WiFi Rental Experience?

Best prices I've found so far was with Japan-Wireless.com. I've been using them for all my trips back to Tokyo ever since. Best part, they throw in a mobile battery as well. Very handy since the charge normally won't last thru the day.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
36 posts
131 reviews
75. Re: Pocket WiFi Rental Experience?

Hi, did anyone tried blank-wifi.com ? their price is cheaper than japan wireless. I'm considering between these 2

Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
27 reviews
76. Re: Pocket WiFi Rental Experience?

In Japan, you cannot go wrong chosing www.japan-wireless.com for portable pocket wifi rentals. The price is fantastic at $5.00 per day (and I also paid a total of $7.50 more for insurance coverage.) I used the au model as I was going to be in rural Japan since they have the best overall coverage and I stayed connected the entire time including hiking in mountains. The rental come with a free extra battery which came in handy for especially long days.

You can pick up your order and drop it off right there in either Haneda or Narita airports but in my case, I needed it sent to a private residence where I was staying. To do it this way, You will need to get the mailing address and a map to submit to them. Japan is country that functions more on maps and nearly not at all on fixed addresses. (Tip-ALWAYS get a map to your hotel when you leave it in case you get lost - an address won't help you much.) The best way to do this is to have someone at the mailing address send you a "dropped pin" from Google Maps to provide to Japan-Wireless with your order.

The integrity of www.Japan-wireless.com is excellent and you can trust them completely. I researched this thoroughly before making my choice. Don't get hung up on anything in the order form if you don't understand it. Like most Japanese websites translated into English, you may find something a tad confusing. They will solve any problems and get all your questions answered. Their process is seamless and well perfected so just trust and go with it. You will be extremely happy with their service.

Happy travels!

77. Re: Pocket WiFi Rental Experience?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2017, 15:03
Edited: 06 March 2017, 15:03

78. Re: Pocket WiFi Rental Experience?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2017, 15:03

Curitiba, Parana...
3 posts
79. Re: Pocket WiFi Rental Experience?

Hello digitalgirlie, has the au model worked fine in all trains?

I read in their site the best speed this model can get up to is 3.1Mbps when on KDDI au coverage area. Was it fine for you during all your trip? (I intent mainly to browse the internet, use google maps and maybe upload photos).

As I'll be travelling to country areas as well (Kiso valley, Koya-san, Okayama and around, Shimanami-kaido and Inner-sea islands) I'm a bit affraid E-Mobile network would not cover all my trip, but I'm concerned with au speed when I'm away from UQ-WiMAX areas.

Thanks!

Curitiba, Parana...
3 posts
80. Re: Pocket WiFi Rental Experience?

Hello digitalgirlie, has the au model worked fine in all trains?

I read in their site the best speed this model can get up to is 3.1Mbps when on KDDI au coverage area. Was it fine for you during all your trip? (I intent mainly to browse the internet, use google maps and maybe upload photos).

As I'll be travelling to country areas as well (Kiso valley, Koya-san, Okayama and around, Shimanami-kaido and Inner-sea islands) I'm a bit affraid E-Mobile network would not cover all my trip, but I'm concerned with au speed when I'm away from UQ-WiMAX areas.

Thanks!

Reply to: Pocket WiFi Rental Experience?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted