We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pocket WiFi Rental Experience?

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Pocket WiFi Rental Experience?

Anyone have any experiences with pocket wifi rentals? Global, Pupuru and Rentafone are offering them at reasonable prices now. Softbank is also offering one but it is 2x-3x more expensive for the same thing. I think I am going to try one and not rent a keitai this time and just use Skype from iPhone via a pocket wifi device instead.

283 replies to this topic
Makati, Philippines
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
51. Re: Pocket WiFi Rental Experience?

I noticed a lot of folks complaining about battery life. Is a portable battery charger or what we call here "power bank" not allowed in Japan? Did I miss that detail? Thanks in advance!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
52. Re: Pocket WiFi Rental Experience?

I use Samsung Note I and since it is not listed on the compatible list of eConnect, its website says I should check with them beforehand to ensure compatibility, which I did. I was told that their sim card should work with my phone, so I purchased the card on that basis. Of course it didn't work. The VPN was with eMobile and the card was with Docomo. I tried calling both eMobile and Docomo and both could not help make it work. When I emailed eConnect asking why the card didn't work, the customer service rep replied by saying that they could not have tested all the phones on the planet, because they tested 99% of other Samsung phones they simply assumed that it would work on mine, of course avoiding the key issue of why they told me that my particular model would work although they didn't actually test it. When I complained about them misleading me in purchasing the card, the rep replied by saying that I could do whatever I wanted with complaining to the media or the government, and even claimed that they were "trying to help". Not only did they mislead me in the purchase, when receiving complaints after the fact, they gave me such bad attitude. They even demanded that I spend more money to mail them back the card that didn't work in order to get a refund, which I refused. Never had such negative customer service from any Japanese business. I spent hours of my precious traveling time to make the card work and such bad experience ruined my holiday mood.

Kyoto
3 posts
53. Re: Pocket WiFi Rental Experience?

Actually the eConnect SIMs work though B-Mobile via Docomo- calling eMobile certainly would not help , nor would Docomo

Sounds like you were inputting the APN details incorrectly- or it could be that your device was not unlocked.

Much better to rent a pocket WiFi to avoid such problems

Pasadena,CA,USA
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
54. Re: Pocket WiFi Rental Experience?

We had a wonderful 10 day trip to Tokyo & Kyoto in mid-December & the smartest thing we did was rent a pocket wifi device from Global Advanced Communications. It was waiting at our hotel in Shinagawa when we arrived & worked great the entire trip (except in train/subway tunnels). We didn't have an extra battery, just charged it each night & never had a problem connecting to an Android phone & an iPad. Mailed back at the post office on our last day. It was 75MBPS & cost about $80 for 10 days. Highly recommend!

Coolum Beach...
Level Contributor
1,063 posts
67 reviews
55. Re: Pocket WiFi Rental Experience?

We are coming to the end of a trip through central Honshu using a Rentafone dual band device. It worked reliably in the hotels and a ryokan in Nozawa Onsen, and also while we were on the road. Its range for multiple units appeared to be about 5m.

Bergen
Level Contributor
1 post
37 reviews
56. Re: Pocket WiFi Rental Experience?

Just back from a week in Tokyo. Travelled with 2 iPhones and 2 iPads, and wanted to avoid getting Sims for all of them, so we researched alternatives.

Ended up ordering the S-072 Wifi-to-go from eConnect a couple of days before we left Norway, and had it delivered to our hotel. It sat there waiting for us when we checked in, and was just as easy to set up as advertised. Brilliant.

The battery life was a bit poor, so you might want to power it down whenever you don't (activly) use it, but eConnect had thought of that, too, and provided an extra barrety pack, so you could recharge the wifi-to-go when it ran out (typically after about 6 hours use).

Being in Tokyo the S-072 meant we were online all the time. Didn't find any spots that wasn't (well) covered. We even favoured usin the pocket wifi over the (free) wireless network on the hotel, as the speed and reliability was much, much better.

Everything you needed to return the device was provided, and we just packed everything up on the last eve in Tokyo and had the reception on the hotel post it for us. Very convenient.

eConnect offers a few options, but this it the one we ordered: www.econnectjapan.com/products/wifi/s072

New York, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
12 reviews
57. Re: Pocket WiFi Rental Experience?

March 4, 2014

I just got back from Tokyo/Osaka/Hyogo and rented a MiFi from Global Advanced

www.globaladvancedcomm.com/pocketwifi.html

I was there for 2 weeks and my total rental cost was only $75. The unit was waiting for me when I checked into the hotel and there was a return envelope (pre-paid) included that I put the unit in when I left and gave it to the hotel clerk to mail. The unit worked perfectly the entire time. The battery lasts quite a long time 6-7 hours, and recharging is simple as plugs are readily available everywhere.

The unit worked on the Shinkansen, the Tokyo Metro and in other places that I wouldn't have expected it to receive a signal. I used it constantly for FaceTime, texting and email. I never had connection problems.

The people from Global were very responsive and polite. I will definitely use them again and would recommend them unconditionally.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
222 posts
7 reviews
58. Re: Pocket WiFi Rental Experience?

Two questions:

1- Can I connect my mobile phone to the internet using the pocket wifi or just a laptop ???

2- Is possible to access the wifi inside the Narita Express train and the Shinkansen trains ?

59. Re: Pocket WiFi Rental Experience?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2014, 00:50

60. Re: Pocket WiFi Rental Experience?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2014, 00:57

Reply to: Pocket WiFi Rental Experience?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted