We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pocket WiFi Rental Experience?

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Pocket WiFi Rental Experience?

Anyone have any experiences with pocket wifi rentals? Global, Pupuru and Rentafone are offering them at reasonable prices now. Softbank is also offering one but it is 2x-3x more expensive for the same thing. I think I am going to try one and not rent a keitai this time and just use Skype from iPhone via a pocket wifi device instead.

283 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
1 post
92 reviews
41. Re: Pocket WiFi Rental Experience?

I used econnect Japan modem to connect all our phones and ipads to and because they had ran out of unlimited devices they palmed me off with a 1gb device which was wholly unsuitable. Never enough when you need so many high- juice apps running such as uploading photos and Skype. Used what's app which worked well (only with others who have the same app) used for texting. Height speed connection makes a difference too. Standing on the street waiting for maps to kick in doesn't feel comfy at -1 degrees!

42. Re: Pocket WiFi Rental Experience?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 31 January 2013, 05:05

Virginia
Level Contributor
10 posts
16 reviews
43. Re: Pocket WiFi Rental Experience?

What speed was the pocket wi-fi that you rented?

Robina, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
93 reviews
44. Re: Pocket WiFi Rental Experience?

I am interested in your service for our visit to Japan in August/September. Is the a website you can recommend to read more about your service?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,530 posts
28 reviews
45. Re: Pocket WiFi Rental Experience?

Not exactly sure what the last question is, but you can try the different company links that rent out devices at Narita Airport - narita-airport.jp/en/…svc_19.html

Robina, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
93 reviews
46. Re: Pocket WiFi Rental Experience?

Thank you for responding. The question related to a previous post that has since been removed by Trip Advisor.

47. Re: Pocket WiFi Rental Experience?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2013, 07:13

Robina, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
93 reviews
48. Re: Pocket WiFi Rental Experience?

Thank you ryoko101. Very helpful advice!

Sao Paulo, SP
1 post
1 review
49. Re: Pocket WiFi Rental Experience?

My parents went to Japan last month and, since we wanted to have constant contact, I decided to rent a modem from japan-wireless for them. It worked really well, we had video chats everyday without having to worry about cost or traffic consumption. Cheap and reliable service.

Saratoga CA
13 posts
50. Re: Pocket WiFi Rental Experience?

I have returned from Japan this month, and i rented the wifi router from Global advanced communications,

they provided excellent customer support, not only the email reply but only the support by telephone.

Their devices work very good.

I will definitely use this company again when i come to Japan.

Reply to: Pocket WiFi Rental Experience?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted