We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pocket WiFi Rental Experience?

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Pocket WiFi Rental Experience?

Anyone have any experiences with pocket wifi rentals? Global, Pupuru and Rentafone are offering them at reasonable prices now. Softbank is also offering one but it is 2x-3x more expensive for the same thing. I think I am going to try one and not rent a keitai this time and just use Skype from iPhone via a pocket wifi device instead.

283 replies to this topic
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
31. Re: Pocket WiFi Rental Experience?

Sorry. I see I cant edit my previous post. Please disregard the link to Softbank. They do not have a local NYC office. My bad.

But here is a review from ENGADGET on the XCOM mifi rental. Hope it helps anyone travelling from NYC.

engadget.com/2010/…

Edited: 09 June 2012, 20:34
Hong Kong, China
3 posts
32. Re: Pocket WiFi Rental Experience?

2 weeks ago I also rented one from Global Comm. The delivery and return service was good and easy. However, I found that many blind spots in metro, basement.

The worst thing is the battery. Although it did mention that the device could work for 5 hours, I found that only 4 hours at most. So, you may have to rent another battery if you are preparing to use it whole day.

Maybe next time I will try another one. Not as good as you recommended. Sorry about that.

Edited: 29 August 2012, 15:10
Hong Kong, China
3 posts
33. Re: Pocket WiFi Rental Experience?

2 weeks ago I also rented one from Global Comm. The delivery and return service was good and easy. However, I found that many blind spots in metro, basement.

The worst thing is the battery. Although it did mention that the device could work for 7 hours, I found that only 5 hours at most. So, you may have to rent another battery if you are preparing to use it whole day.

Maybe next time I will try another one. Not as good as you recommended. Sorry about that.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
25,964 posts
30 reviews
34. Re: Pocket WiFi Rental Experience?

unrealistic expectations always lead to disappointment. Sorry.

Hong Kong, China
3 posts
35. Re: Pocket WiFi Rental Experience?

It's ok, I understand that you've just wanted to have one more post in your record thus writing something useless. That's ok. No need to say sorry.

36. Re: Pocket WiFi Rental Experience?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 23:18

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Uruguay
Level Contributor
3,157 posts
6 reviews
37. Re: Pocket WiFi Rental Experience?

Spam Alert!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
38. Re: Pocket WiFi Rental Experience?

I often go to Japan for business, and rent mobile WiFi router everytime because it's really hard to find WiFi spot in Japan.

I've rent a mobile WIFI router at different companies, and found that JapanWireless.com is best for price and free options.

http://japan-wireless.com

San Francisco...
1 post
39. Re: Pocket WiFi Rental Experience?

So many choices . . . just came back from Tokyo where I rented a pocket wifi device from Japan Wireless. Although I didn't do a side-by-side comparison, I found the download speed to be quite fast. Pleasantly surprised. The device itself was an EM (eMobile) GL01P. It even worked on the Shinkansen! Battery life was not an issue for me, as I turned it off when not in use. Easy delivery/return using Japan Post's Letter Pack. JPY 6,750 for a 9-day rental (incl. JPY 500 insurance). Note: These smaller companies can run out of rental units during busy periods. Currently experiencing difficulty locating one for the family's year-end trip to Japan.

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
40. Re: Pocket WiFi Rental Experience?

I concur with Bibimbob that your expectations are unreasonable and your criticism about battery life is harsh. Regarding being in basements or subways is not really a fault of the vendor but is more on the carrier and the coverage provided. Most data connections do not work well in some parts of the subway system. I don't think it is realistic to expect coverage underground throughout the city.

<<<It's ok, I understand that you've just wanted to have one more post in your record thus writing something useless. That's ok. No need to say sorry.>>>

Reply to: Pocket WiFi Rental Experience?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted