We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pocket WiFi Rental Experience?

Aoyama Dori and San...
Level Contributor
9,424 posts
25 reviews
Pocket WiFi Rental Experience?

Anyone have any experiences with pocket wifi rentals? Global, Pupuru and Rentafone are offering them at reasonable prices now. Softbank is also offering one but it is 2x-3x more expensive for the same thing. I think I am going to try one and not rent a keitai this time and just use Skype from iPhone via a pocket wifi device instead.

283 replies to this topic
Manchester, United...
1 post
21. Re: Pocket WiFi Rental Experience?

These guys (www.fonerent.com) were excellent. Unit was sent before i flew but got a second one for a colleague whilst there overnight! Found them on here at Trip Advisor

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
826 posts
7 reviews
22. Re: Pocket WiFi Rental Experience?

I just got back from Tokyo and have to endorse b-mobile. Worked very well and I was able to tether to my iPad no problem. Bought the sim card at yodabashi. The sims were behind the counter. Had to ask the cashier. :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
79 reviews
23. Re: Pocket WiFi Rental Experience?

the post about the post office being closed has me a little concerned. what time does it close at on Sundays? [never mind, found it closes at 8pm and open every day]

Edited: 27 April 2012, 02:21
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
807 posts
200 reviews
24. Re: Pocket WiFi Rental Experience?

I used rentafone and they were excellent. Unit worked great (for Skype and everything else) on both my iPhone and iPad, and service was excellent.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
27 posts
25. Re: Pocket WiFi Rental Experience?

Used Global. Rented the extra battery, even though we didn't use it. Package was waiting at hotel check-in and they provided an envelope to mail back. Connected smartphone and Android tablet when touring and connected iPad and tablet in the room. Overall cost was about $15usd per day for 6 days, but the convenience, ease and customer service was worth it

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
79 reviews
26. Re: Pocket WiFi Rental Experience?

Thanks. I selected Global also. They have been good with correspondence also. I will pick up at the post office in a few days. Glad to hear the device worked well. I do not need the battery since if I am surfing that much on my vacation...it means I am working too much.

London, United...
2 posts
1 review
27. Re: Pocket WiFi Rental Experience?

06 June 2012

Back from our Japan trip used eConnect Japan Inc, picked it up from the post office at Narita Airport.worked well and was not a problem at all.They were the cheapest to rent from and without any reviews i took a chance and booked one of their pocket wifi was surprised with their level of service as i had a few questions to ask before booking and their reply via email was in minutes

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
28. Re: Pocket WiFi Rental Experience?

Just want to add that XcomGlobal opened here in NYC. You can rent the device from them, it is programmed for what your destination is. Here is the link.

http://www.xcomglobal.com/rentalsteps/

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
79 reviews
29. Re: Pocket WiFi Rental Experience?

Used global advanced. Worked great and even allowed me to stream netflix using a US proxy service.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
30. Re: Pocket WiFi Rental Experience?

Ah...meant to say that Softbank now has an outlet here in New York City.

www.softbank-rental.jp/e/rental-plan.php

Reply to: Pocket WiFi Rental Experience?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted