We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bringing back a kitchen knife from Japan

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
92 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Bringing back a kitchen knife from Japan

I want to buy a kitchen knife from the Aritsugu knife shop in Kyoto. I know enough not to pack it in my carry-on coming back from Japan to go back to Canada, but what else do I need to do to make sure it's not confiscated? Is there a form I need to fill?

Thanks for sharing any info you have!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
680 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bringing back a kitchen knife from Japan

The only way is to check it in to baggage. If you can, call your carrier to confirm. You can always mail it home.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,861 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bringing back a kitchen knife from Japan

>> Is there a form I need to fill?

No. http://www.knifezone.ca/d19-13-2-e.pdf

But I would rather call Canada Customs instead of trusting some guy on the internet.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
92 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bringing back a kitchen knife from Japan

Thanks guys! Air Canada confirms that as long as it's not in my carry-on, it's fine. :)

SF
Destination Expert
for Fukuoka, Kyushu-Okinawa
Level Contributor
2,955 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bringing back a kitchen knife from Japan

I brought many cooking knives over the years and my colleague brought Kyocera ceramic knives from Japan without any hassle to US in checked bags.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
22,861 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bringing back a kitchen knife from Japan

Airlines says OK doesn't mean it meets Canada Customs rules. You can carry a ninja star or switch-blade knife in your checked baggage but they are prohibited weapons in Canada and a criminal offence to import/possess. There are regulations on the length of the blade.

It's OK to bring into US = it's OK to bring into Canada???

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
51,185 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bringing back a kitchen knife from Japan

Generally speaking, there is no issue with bringing a kitchen knife in checked luggage and through customs. It's not like you are bringing a military weapon. I personally wouldn't bother calling customs about something like this.

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
6,173 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Bringing back a kitchen knife from Japan

I always carry my own Japanese kitchen knife when I travel. It's not new or anything fancy, but it actually CUTS, slices and pares!

All I do is wrap it in a towel and put it in check-in luggage. No questions have ever been asked in any country whether it's the US, Hawaii (different rules), Canada, New Zealand, Australia -- even Kenya! lol

My friend got her screwdriver confiscated two days ago in Jakarta because she forgot she had it and left it in her carry on. (It was a quick transfer, off and on the same plane! She didn't get "caught" with it in Denpasar, where the flight originated -- which makes one wonder why some machines can find "weapons," while others cannot.)

Happy packing!

8. Re: Bringing back a kitchen knife from Japan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2009, 10:19