We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving in Tokyo with an expired passport

Santa Monica...
4 posts
1 review
Arriving in Tokyo with an expired passport

If, say -- and please note this is purely theoretical! -- if you were to realize half way through your flight from the US to Tokyo that you'd grabbed the wrong passport and the one with you was expired (but you've got a second, still valid passport back at home), what would happen when you landed in Japan?

Say, too, that you've got scans of your valid passport and have traveled on it several times this year to Japan. And you've managed to get your valid passport sent overnight to arrive the next day. Any chance you aren't immediately sent back?

Best Seller
Mt Fuji, Lake Ashi and Bullet Train...
4,325 Reviews
from USD 141.30*
Best Seller
Tokyo Robot Evening Cabaret Show
951 Reviews
from USD 65.60*
Universal Studios Japan 1 Day Pass
3 Reviews
from USD 72.00*
40 replies to this topic
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
6,562 posts
27 reviews
1. Re: Arriving in Tokyo with an expired passport

Eek! And welcome to Japan Forums!

I doubt that any of us can advise you. If this person is in the air with wifi, he or she might try emailing the US Embassy in Tokyo: tokyoacs@state.gov It would be a good idea to include passport numbers (old and new) and the flight information. If phone service is available: Phone: +81 3 3224 5000 https:/…

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
6,562 posts
27 reviews
2. Re: Arriving in Tokyo with an expired passport

I found this. I am not familiar with the source: https:/…entry.htm

Would the purser on the plane know anything about getting a shore pass?

"If you are a U.S. citizen entering or transiting Japan, you should ensure that your passport and visa are valid and up to date before you leave the United States. Occasionally, airlines mistakenly board U.S. citizens coming to Japan even though their passports have already expired. The U.S. Embassy and U.S. consulates cannot "vouch for" you without a valid passport, and passport services are not available at the airport. In some prior instances, travelers have been returned immediately to the United States, while in other cases, they have been issued 24-hour "shore passes" and required to return the next day to Japanese Immigration for lengthy processing. "

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11,993 posts
25 reviews
3. Re: Arriving in Tokyo with an expired passport

I don't think you are going to get on the flight in the first place. At check in they should be looking at passport expiry. Hand them an expired passport and you won't get to board in my opinion.

Santa Monica...
4 posts
1 review
4. Re: Arriving in Tokyo with an expired passport

Thank you! Will see if they can get ahold of anyone at the Embassy.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11,993 posts
25 reviews
5. Re: Arriving in Tokyo with an expired passport

Are you on a plane right now heading to Japan with expired passport?

Kobe, Japan
Level Contributor
3,948 posts
17 reviews
6. Re: Arriving in Tokyo with an expired passport

Very surprised that the airline issued a boarding pass, if this is actually happening now.

Santa Monica...
4 posts
1 review
7. Re: Arriving in Tokyo with an expired passport

Checked in online, using my other, still-valid passport. Totally my fault of course, but the gate agent in the US didn't catch it, and so here I am.

Kobe, Japan
Level Contributor
3,948 posts
17 reviews
8. Re: Arriving in Tokyo with an expired passport

Have you talked to purser? Might be good to be as proactive as possible.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11,993 posts
25 reviews
9. Re: Arriving in Tokyo with an expired passport

Oh well, let us know what happens. Good luck since it's not just theoretical any more. Good job you have scan of your non expired passport and they will have record of you since you mention going to Japan several times with it.

Best of luck.

Japan
Level Contributor
4,014 posts
149 reviews
10. Re: Arriving in Tokyo with an expired passport

The only slight words of encouragement I can provide is that it is not totally your own fault. The airline made an error, and as often the case, the simple check at boarding is prone to error. At least you were on the right plane.

The US Embassy might be able to issue an emergency travel document, but could be tricky.

https:/…

Good luck.

Reply to: Arriving in Tokyo with an expired passport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted