We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you fly to Japan and JR to Korea and leave from there?

Garden Grove...
1 post
Can you fly to Japan and JR to Korea and leave from there?

I was planning on visiting Japan and South Korea by flying from the US to Japan, then purchase a JR pass so I could go from Hakata to Busan. However I heard that Japan tends to be touchy with not having an outbound flight. Would a multi-city ticket showing my outbound flight from the US to Japan, then South Korea to the US be enough evidence to prove I won't shack up in Japan forever?

9 replies to this topic
Bellingham...
Level Contributor
4,256 posts
1 review
1. Re: Can you fly to Japan and JR to Korea and leave from there?

i didn’t think JR covered the ferries to Korea?

It seems like it would just be easier to buy a cheap ticket to Korea as your proof out of Japan.

I didn’t get asked for proof of onward travel but it’s your transport to Korea they’d want to see. Not a ticket from Korea to home.

Nakano, Japan
Level Contributor
801 posts
2. Re: Can you fly to Japan and JR to Korea and leave from there?

Never heard of asking for return ticket in Japan immigration, and it is meaningless to do so nowadays.

But, JR PASS certainly does not include JR Beetle Jetfoil, and it is even explicitly stated.

Edited: 15 May 2018, 17:08
Fukuoka, Japan
Destination Expert
for Fukuoka, Kyushu
Level Contributor
5,102 posts
3,315 reviews
3. Re: Can you fly to Japan and JR to Korea and leave from there?

There used to be common discount (about 30 %) ticket by JR train to Hakata or Shimonoseki, ferry (Kanpu, JR Kyushu Beetle, and Kobee) and Korail train from Busan. Unfortunately, they terminated it in 2015.

I have seen tens of normal tourists from third countries arriving at Fukuoka by ferry and flying out to other countries. They often stay in Japan 1 - 3 months, depending on their permit. If you're not confident for immigration issue, book a normal fare ticket for the short distance (Fukuoka - Busan or Naha - Taipei) and cancel it after you arrive in Japan.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
25,870 posts
30 reviews
4. Re: Can you fly to Japan and JR to Korea and leave from there?

>> Never heard of asking for return ticket in Japan immigration,

As per IATA travel centre and Timatic : "Visitors not holding return/onward tickets could be refused entry."

Which means if you can't show onward travel tickets leaving Japan, you are not likely to be allowed to board your international flight to Japan when you check-in. You would never have a chance to even reach Japan, unless the airlines overlooked.

California
Level Contributor
4,329 posts
335 reviews
5. Re: Can you fly to Japan and JR to Korea and leave from there?

Best to be able to demonstrate an egress. Doesn't mean that you have to show it, but best to be able to produce it.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,652 posts
26 reviews
6. Re: Can you fly to Japan and JR to Korea and leave from there?

People do this all the time, I have done it myself.

It is generally much cheaper if your flight home from Korea is with a partner airline to your flight into Japan.

Nakano, Japan
Level Contributor
801 posts
7. Re: Can you fly to Japan and JR to Korea and leave from there?

>>>As per IATA travel centre and Timatic : "Visitors not holding return/onward tickets could be refused entry."

I don't understand why aviation industry still adopt such an old-school practice. It's nearly two decades after Millennium already, flight tickets have been electronized. By showing a return ticket to check-in counter they cannot verify it because it cannot be a proof or certificate but just believe you have.

It's strange but there maybe a hidden principle behind. I know they are afraid of passenger refused by immigration which is a severe consequence, but I do think they overthink nowadays.

Nakano, Japan
Level Contributor
801 posts
8. Re: Can you fly to Japan and JR to Korea and leave from there?

>>>There used to be common discount (about 30 %) ticket by JR train to Hakata or Shimonoseki, ferry (Kanpu, JR Kyushu Beetle, and Kobee) and Korail train from Busan. Unfortunately, they terminated it in 2015.

Sad to hear the "news". There was a long history of Ferry connecting Kyushu and Busan, especially the Shimonoseki Port. In the old days, people ride a long train trip to Shimonoseki, and then made the connecting ferry to Korea - it was once the domestic and the schedule was included in the train timetable

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
25,870 posts
30 reviews
9. Re: Can you fly to Japan and JR to Korea and leave from there?

>> flight tickets have been electronized. By showing a return ticket to check-in counter

They don't actually need to see physical tickets. They check reservations and e-tickets online.

>> I do think they overthink nowadays.

huge fines to the airlines, free transportation of people denied entry back to origin airports

Reply to: Can you fly to Japan and JR to Korea and leave from there?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted