We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bring your own portable (pocket) wifi router to Japan? What

sf bay area
Level Contributor
8 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Bring your own portable (pocket) wifi router to Japan? What

I was thinking of purchasing my own portable (pocket) wifi router on Amazon and then buying a SIM card for it in Japan.

The price sounds ($99 link below) reasonable, comes with 1 GB that you have up to a year to use and you can purchase another SIM card as needed.

Problem is, this model doesn't list Japan as a compatible destination. Do you know of a Japan compatible brand of pocket wifi router that I can buy online before coming to Japan?

I know that you can easily rent them there, but I like the idea of having my own, so that I can use it on future travels as well as not have to worry about losing/damaging it or the hassle of having to pick up and return it.

https://thedroidguy.com/2018/04/4-best-pocke…

Best Seller
Mt Fuji, Lake Ashi and Bullet Train...
4,313 Reviews
from USD 141.50*
Best Seller
Tokyo Robot Evening Cabaret Show
946 Reviews
from USD 65.70*
Best Seller
Tokyo Robot Restaurant Cabaret Show...
122 Reviews
from USD 54.80*
10 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
437 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bring your own portable (pocket) wifi router to Japan? What

To connect the device on NTT Docomo's network which used by many providers need to support following bands. Check the spec sheet.

3G W-CDMA Band 1/6

4G FDD-LTE Band 1/3/19

Please aware that setting APNs for those WiFi router is not easy as on smartphones. In most cases, you need to do that through the web interface.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
25,443 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bring your own portable (pocket) wifi router to Japan? What

The issue is often not hardware compatibility (frequency bands supported - which can be easily verified), but rather firmware, and how to set the APN, among other things.

In extreme cases you may even have to use ATD*99# and similar commands to configure it.

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bring your own portable (pocket) wifi router to Japan? What

What I do is to take a spare unlocked iPhone 5 or 6 and use it as wifi hotspot with a data SIM. The only complicated thing is setting APN, for which you need external wifi connection, so I do it in my hotel room.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
25,443 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bring your own portable (pocket) wifi router to Japan? What

whether your iPhone needs Wifi to configure APN depends on the previous SIM card that was inside the phone. That previous service provider locks the APN setting.

Any smartphone released within the last 5 years can be used as wifi hotspot.

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bring your own portable (pocket) wifi router to Japan? What

Well, unless the previous use of the handset was in Japan as wifi hotspot and you are using the same SIM or a new SIM from the same provider, you must reset the APN, for which external wifi is essential.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
25,443 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bring your own portable (pocket) wifi router to Japan? What

Any iPhone, I insert my China Mobile Hong Kong or CSL Hong Kong SIM card, power cycle the phone. Remove the SIM, insert Japanese SIM, and can input / change APN through iPhone screen. No WiFi is needed.

The screen to access APN on iOS is hidden by the current or previous SIM card you used.

Edited: 15 May 2018, 14:23
London
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Bring your own portable (pocket) wifi router to Japan? What

I did exactly this on my last trip to Tokyo and it worked a treat.

I used a TP-Link M7350 and got a data sim from Sakura mobile which worked perfectly all the time I was there. I still had to return the sim card at the end of the holiday or it would've incurred a fee of ¥5,000.

It was a nano sim and it came with an adapter and sim card tool. It also came with information on the APN settings I needed and a return envelope.

You can configure an APN profile before you get to Japan if you have the details. That said you won't know if it actually works until you get there and put the sim in.

Japan
Level Contributor
3,978 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bring your own portable (pocket) wifi router to Japan? What

As an observation, 1GB is not very much data.

Rental units are not so expensive either, a few hundred yen per day.

1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Bring your own portable (pocket) wifi router to Japan? What

Hello, @jypr, am planning to visit Japan too next month and bring my M7350. I was wondering if you needed to do something else aside from configure the SIM Card APN settings using your smart phone. Did it work right away after you inserted the SIM card to your M7350? I found a manual online for M7350 in Japan but it said i also needed to enter into the web management of M7350. I am not sure though if it is outdated since the date of the document is 2015. Thanks do much.

Edited: 12 September 2018, 12:11
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Bring your own portable (pocket) wifi router to Japan? What

Hi Ill be visiting Japan also soon and i have also a pocket wifi. Does it work for Japan sim card? thanks

Reply to: Bring your own portable (pocket) wifi router to Japan? What
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted