We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yakkan Shoumei / CPAP

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
149 posts
25 reviews
Yakkan Shoumei / CPAP

After much research I have found there is a lot of incorrect information, both on the forum and outside of it, regarding bringing a CPAP machine into Japan.

You must apply for a Yakkan Shoumei. I am sure many people haven't, and perhaps have travelled many times without it, but the correct proceedure is to apply for one.

Below are two links. The first with information regarding CPAP and other medicines and the second is the actual application form with very easy to follow samples provided. (Also included in the links is the email address to send a query to regarding bringing other medications with you.)

…emb-japan.go.jp/itpr_en/visa_medicine_en.ht…

mhlw.go.jp/english/…qa2.doc

I sent my first email to the Pharmaceutical Inspector to check if I also had to apply on my Yakkan Shoumei for any medication I take and I included my CPAP machine in the query (I was still sceptical about needing a permit for it). I received a reply within two days and the medication was fine but an application was needed for the CPAP. I completed the application, using the sample on the above link as a guide, I included a letter from my doctor and a copy of our airline tickets. I received my Yakkan Shoumei the next day via email.

I have also applied to the airline to use the CPAP machine, another simple process.

You can send a query to the Pharmaceutical Inspector any time but applications must be submitted within 6 months of travel and no changes are permitted once received.

I hope some of this information is helpful to someone. Yes, it did take a little time to complete the paperwork, but that is all sorted now and ready for our trip and I know the correct proceedure has been followed. Thanks.

Best Seller
Mt Fuji, Lake Ashi and Bullet Train...
4,329 Reviews
from USD 141.70*
Universal Studios Japan 1 Day Pass
3 Reviews
from USD 72.20*
Best Seller
Tokyo Robot Evening Cabaret Show
952 Reviews
from USD 65.80*
9 replies to this topic
4 posts
1. Re: Yakkan Shoumei / CPAP

I will be bringing my CPAP. Thanks for this info.

The 2 links you provided are the same, 1 in Microsoft word and 1 in adobe acrobat. No empty forms for us to fill out?

Thank you

4 posts
2. Re: Yakkan Shoumei / CPAP

Am so sorry, i found it!!! overlooked

1 post
3. Re: Yakkan Shoumei / CPAP

So I'm in the process of filling out the application now and I'm a bit confused. What exactly am I supposed to write for the Explanation of Pharmaceutical Products portion of the application forms for CPAP? Do I not need to fill that part out for cpap?

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
56,792 posts
67 reviews
4. Re: Yakkan Shoumei / CPAP

https:/…01.html

You don’t need the form for the actual machine. The inspector will look at the machine and wave you through. I know this first hand.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
149 posts
25 reviews
5. Re: Yakkan Shoumei / CPAP

Sarah R the second link in the original post gives an example of the way to fill in the form and what to write in each box. Reposted link below.

I used the words they did and just checked the measurements and any other details that were for my particular machine.

Link: mhlw.go.jp/english/…qa2.doc

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
28,368 posts
69 reviews
6. Re: Yakkan Shoumei / CPAP

See the last page here:

…emb-japan.go.jp/about/Yakkan_Shomei_Ins_and…

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11,991 posts
25 reviews
7. Re: Yakkan Shoumei / CPAP

After much research I have found there is a lot of incorrect information, both on the forum and outside of it, regarding bringing a CPAP machine into Japan.

----------

I realize the Embassy of Australia site you quoted does indeed state needed for CPAP, but I do not believe it actually is.

I have (on other board) seen correspondence quoted from the Japanese Consulate confirming no YS is needed for a CPAP machine as long as you will be in Japan for less than one month. Basically the same kind of situation where you can bring in allowed drugs for one month stay, but beyond that need a YS.

I have also seen (on a CPAP board) some instances of people showing up with the YS for CPAP and border officials frankly had no idea what to do and waived them on.

All I can say is I have been to Japan many, many times with a CPAP machine (and know others who have a well) and it has been looked at a few (very few) times, and then just waived through.

To me, not worth getting it for a visit of less than one month, but I suppose if you are a belt and suspenders type, all it takes is a bit of time.

Airlines of course have their own rules, and the one I use does not allow you to plug it in to their system. You could buy certain batteries, but I don't need it to that degree.

Edited: 10 August 2018, 07:01
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
149 posts
25 reviews
8. Re: Yakkan Shoumei / CPAP

MapleG, I guess I am probably a belt and suspenders type. You could probably add buttoned up too!

I am sure hundreds and probably thousands of people don't get permission for their CPAP and are waived through. I prefer not to test Murphy's Law.

At the end the of the day, people can do what makes them comfortable and there are some links in the above posts if they want to use them or not.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11,991 posts
25 reviews
9. Re: Yakkan Shoumei / CPAP

No problem HappyJ....ps, not sure if you use distilled water in yours, but there's a big issue finding it in Japan .

Reply to: Yakkan Shoumei / CPAP
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted