We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Adapters

Vancouver
Level Contributor
55 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Adapters

As the voltage is different from Canada, can I get advice on what I need for plugging in computer and cameras and iPhones?

Best Seller
Mt Fuji, Lake Ashi and Bullet Train...
4,314 Reviews
from USD 140.80*
Best Seller
Tokyo Robot Evening Cabaret Show
947 Reviews
from USD 65.40*
Best Seller
Tokyo Robot Restaurant Cabaret Show...
122 Reviews
from USD 54.50*
10 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11,923 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Adapters

Zero adapter needed, unless you have a laptop that has a 3 prong plug. If so, get a 3 to 2 prong adapter.

Canadian plugs work fine in Japan and electronics of the type you mention handle multiple voltages without issue. (ie 100 to 240 volts)

Edited: 15 May 2018, 06:23
Vancouver
Level Contributor
55 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Adapters

Thank you . Its just when I googled it said I need a adapter or a voltage adapter for Japan. I am also going to Hong Kong. No I have Mac Air, iPad and I phone plus the camera.

3. Re: Adapters

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 15 May 2018, 08:35
Edited: 15 May 2018, 08:35

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11,923 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Adapters

Google gave you wrong answer. Your apple devices and your camera can handle different voltages from 100 to 240. Most modern electronics like that have done that for years, so you do not need a voltage adapter ever.

For Japan, plugs from Canada will fit the socket, so you are fine. Hong Kong however used the British 3 plug system, so you should pick up a travel adapter to do that

You can buy at airports, at Walmart, Best Buy etc. Again, you don't need a voltage adapter (which is more expensive)

Here's a typical example but I am sure you can find them cheaper. One of these can pretty well handle those electronics no matter where you travel in the world

https:/…6000105343460

Walmart sells them where suitcase display is. Shoppers Drug Mart charges 2x the price.

Bandung, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
5,239 posts
834 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Adapters

Where I live we use 220V and all my electronic gadgets work fine in Japan because as mentioned above, most modern chargers work on anything between 110 - 240V. I'm using Macbook Air, Canon Camera battery charger, Samsung phone etc. You just need to have a couple of 3 to 3 adapters which are easily purchased in Japan.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
55 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Adapters

Thank you so much for your patience.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
55 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Adapters

Thank you so much for your patience.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
55 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Adapters

Thank you so much for your patience :)

Vancouver
Level Contributor
55 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Adapters

Thank you.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
60,722 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Adapters

I am not sure how much Walmart and Best Buy charge for the adapters. I know they sell them online for cheap.

For Hong Kong, you can actually buy at many of the small shops that sells electronic accessories, often for HKD8-10 (so USD1 to 1.25).

Reply to: Adapters
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted