We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to send money to Mie, Japan? Please help

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
How to send money to Mie, Japan? Please help

Hi guys,

Im in Australia and my little brother is in Tsu shi, Mie, Japan at the moment. He has got no credit card with him or any card that I can transfer money directly from here to him. I googled and found 3 Western Union agents in that areas, however, I couldnt get into contact with 2 of them. My brother even went there in person but he couldnt find the place and the people there didnt know there was one there. He tried to call the other one and they said I need to transfer the money to Nagoya instead , for some reasons they wont be able to receive it in Tsu shi , Mie?!? At the same time, I rang Western Union here and the lady (stated that she is not in aus) said that it should be fine to just go to a local agent here in Aus and send the money and my brother can receive it in any WU agent in Japan?!? plus the fee for let say $1200 is $100. Again she couldnt tell me where I should send it to regarding my concern is that I dont even know whether the agents in Mie exist.

He has a local bank account which they say wont be able to receive the international payment from Australia. Plus he said that he couldnt make a visa/credit card there as a foreigner you are required to stay for at least 6 months to apply for one.

Any kind soul could you please let me know how I can send money to my brother? I tried to google stuff but it doesnt seem to work where he is. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated

Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Tsu
Tsu
Mie Prefecture, Japan
Mie Prefecture
Mie Prefecture
Chubu, Japan
Nagoya
Nagoya
Aichi Prefecture, Japan
5 replies to this topic
Kobe, Japan
Level Contributor
3,209 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to send money to Mie, Japan? Please help

Does he have a cash card from his home bank in Australia? If so, you could deposit money into his home bank account and he can withdraw it as Japanese yen at an ATM at a convenience store or other place.

Level Contributor
1,953 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to send money to Mie, Japan? Please help

First check Nishin-san's suggestion.

I imagine that Travelex in Nagoya (Travelex Nagoya Sakae Money Transfer) are more accustomed to handling international money transfers as Western Union agents (than some food trade agents named Amigo in regional towns in Mie Prefecture - although he can still inquire by phone). Western Union does not seem to operate directly in Japan (standard bank transfers and international money orders are the usual method here).

Western Union agents are here in Nagoya: https://locations.westernunion.com/search/japan/aichi+prefecture/nagoya

Edited: 14 May 2018, 20:05
Mentioned in this post
Nagoya
Nagoya
Aichi Prefecture, Japan
Sakae
Sakae
821 Reviews
Nagoya, Japan
Mie Prefecture
Mie Prefecture
Chubu, Japan
Level Contributor
1,953 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to send money to Mie, Japan? Please help

Travelex (Western Union agent) in Nagoya:

https:/…

https:/…

How to receive money (use Google-Translate and read general instructions on the Western Union official English language site): https:/…receive-money-jp.html

Edited: 14 May 2018, 20:12
Mentioned in this post
Nagoya
Nagoya
Aichi Prefecture, Japan
SF
Destination Expert
for Fukuoka, Kyushu-Okinawa
Level Contributor
3,185 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to send money to Mie, Japan? Please help

This might help:

survivingnjapan.com/2012/06/how-to-transfer-…

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
24,657 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to send money to Mie, Japan? Please help

Why is this in the travel forum?

>> He has a local bank account

i.e. not a tourist.

Reply to: How to send money to Mie, Japan? Please help