We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Narita Airport to Tokyo via Taxi?

London, United...
9 posts
Save Topic
Narita Airport to Tokyo via Taxi?

Hi everyone,

I've been looking into ways of getting from Narita airport to Tokyo (we're staying in Toshima) and I always read online taxi is about 20,000 Yen (£135), however my friend who has visited Tokyo twice said she took a taxi from Narita to where she was staying in Roppongi and said it was about £60 (she doesn't remember the amount in Yen). Does this sound right? Is this possible at all?

Because depending on the cost of taxi, I'll be happy taking one as I'll be with 3 other people and it'll be okay splitting it 4 ways, otherwise spending more than £100 on a taxi is far too expensive.

What are your experiences?

(Don't worry about talking about Narita Express, Keisei Skyliner, Limousine, buses, etc. I've looked into all that. I just want to know about taxis!)

Mentioned in this post
Narita Airport
Narita Airport
Narita, Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Toshima
Toshima
Tokyo, Japan
Narita
Narita
Chiba Prefecture, Japan
Roppongi
Roppongi
667 Reviews
Minato, Japan
12 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
2,187 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Narita Airport to Tokyo via Taxi?

In short, don't take taxi; Narita Airport to Central Tokyo is as far as Northampton or Swindon to London (not anywhere near Heathrow or Gatwick). Apart from being environmentally bad, it's just too time-consuming, and expensive. Uncomfortable too as it's just a car on highways and normal roads with congestion. Totally not worth it, compared to trains (plus taxi from the nearest station, if you like). Your friend may have taken taxi from Haneda Airport which is much closer (but it's also not advisable to take taxi or stay in Roppongi).

To wherever in Toshima, just take the train. Keisei Skyliner to Nippori, then JR Yamanote Line to Ikebukuro, followed by taxi (to wherever in the large Toshima Ward/City). Makes things easier, faster, straightforward, cheap, environmental.

Edited: 14 May 2018, 08:49
Mentioned in this post
Narita Airport
Narita Airport
Narita, Japan
Central Hotel Tokyo
Central Hotel Tokyo
75 Reviews
Shinjuku, Japan
Roppongi
Roppongi
667 Reviews
Minato, Japan
Toshima
Toshima
Tokyo, Japan
California
Level Contributor
2,210 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Narita Airport to Tokyo via Taxi?

How much luggage are you carrying? Among 4 people, might have too much for a taxi.

Level Contributor
2,187 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Narita Airport to Tokyo via Taxi?

If you are a train phobia, take the Limobus to Ikebukuro then taxi: https:/…30

https:/…274

Practically noone takes taxi from Narita Airport to Ikebukuro, unless s/he's an expat and the uninformed company pays for the bill. Taxis in Tokyo will not accept much more than one large suitcase and one carry on.

Edited: 14 May 2018, 08:55
Mentioned in this post
Narita Airport
Narita Airport
Narita, Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
58,506 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Narita Airport to Tokyo via Taxi?

Around 20,000 Yen is the right cost. There is no private taxi that can take you from NRT to Roppongi for anywhere near half that amount.

As mentioned, if you don't want to take a train, then take the limobus to Ikebukuro plus a short taxi ride to Toshima.

Mentioned in this post
Narita Airport
Narita Airport
Narita, Japan
Roppongi
Roppongi
667 Reviews
Minato, Japan
Toshima
Toshima
Tokyo, Japan
Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
27,121 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Narita Airport to Tokyo via Taxi?

>> however my friend who has visited Tokyo twice said she took a taxi from Narita to where she was staying in Roppongi and said it was about £60 (she doesn't remember the amount in Yen). Does this sound right? Is this possible at all?<<

Yes, it's possible. Your friend must have taken an illegal taxi we call "shirotaku", an unlicensed taxi. Many illegal immigrants operate illegal taxis at NRT, but taking one comes with a big risk. If you ever get into an accident, insurance won't cover you for anything.

It is not a good idea to take such a taxi for obvious reasons.

Mentioned in this post
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Narita
Narita
Chiba Prefecture, Japan
Roppongi
Roppongi
667 Reviews
Minato, Japan
Narita Airport
Narita Airport
Narita, Japan
London, United...
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Narita Airport to Tokyo via Taxi?

Hi everyone - thank you for the answers! Especially the person who explained why it's possible to get a £60 taxi!

I'm not scared of trains and I was planning to get a train anyway, I just thought if taxi was an option then I would rather take that for convenience hence I asked the question. My friend 100% took a taxi from Narita because it was far away and it was night time, her second trip to Japan she went to Haneda and did not take taxi. She also took a taxi to Narita airport when she flew back home. Are there any reputable taxi companies if we wanted to do that since our flight back home is very early in the morning?

Mentioned in this post
Narita
Narita
Chiba Prefecture, Japan
Narita Airport
Narita Airport
Narita, Japan
Level Contributor
2,187 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Narita Airport to Tokyo via Taxi?

Nihon Kotsu, Hinomaru, KM, Teito, etc are all reputable taxi companies, operating under proper license, with trained drivers. MK Taxi (not to be confused with KM) has some fans, and I think their drivers are generally great, but its executives are reportedly shadowy figures.

Do note that trains are more reliable when time is a concern. Early flight? How early?

As mentioned, taxi is not really an option.

Edited: 14 May 2018, 17:37
London, United...
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Narita Airport to Tokyo via Taxi?

When flying back to the UK, our flight is at 10am so we'd want to be at the airport at least 7am to be safe. Any recommendations?

Yokohama, Japan
Level Contributor
636 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Narita Airport to Tokyo via Taxi?

NRT is not that big as Heathrow and you won’t need more than 2hrs really. Take Skyliner or N’EX. As everyone says, taxi is not really an option and I’ve never used it for transportation from/to NRT even though I’ve taken even earlier flights numerous times!

Mentioned in this post
Narita Airport
Narita Airport
Narita, Japan
Tsukuba, Japan
Level Contributor
7,013 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Narita Airport to Tokyo via Taxi?

Here is the timetable of Narita Express.

http://35fss.com/images_folder/misawa_itt/train_schedules/narita_express_schedule.pdf#search=%27NEX+timetable%27

You should take Narita Express(NEX) No. 1 (6:18am) or No.3 (7:00am) from Tokyo Station: I think you don't have to arrive Narita Airport at 7:00am and NEX No. 3 which arrives Narita Airport at 7:52am(Terminal 2) and 7:56 (Terminal 1) is sufficient. If you stay at Roppongi, take a Taxi to Tokyo Station and transfer to the NEX.

You should get the NEX Tokyo Round Trip Ticket, as follows.

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2359_nex.html

Mentioned in this post
Narita
Narita
Chiba Prefecture, Japan
The Tokyo Station Hotel
The Tokyo Station Hotel
1,324 Reviews
Chiyoda, Japan
Narita Airport
Narita Airport
Narita, Japan
Roppongi
Roppongi
667 Reviews
Minato, Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Reply to: Narita Airport to Tokyo via Taxi?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted