We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pasmo

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
76 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Pasmo

On a tourist information leaflet it seems to mention that the ticket prices for rail trips are more or less doubled by a "fee' if the Pasmo card is used, I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else. Have I misunderstood this, grateful for any help, thanks.

4 replies to this topic
Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
27,798 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pasmo

I don't know where you got that idea but you're mistaken. The rail/subway fares are actually a bit cheaper when you use an IC card, including Pasmo, than buying individual tickets. There is no fee of any kind involved when using a Pasmo.

California
Level Contributor
3,535 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pasmo

Hard to know unless you show the leaflet or otherwise let us know the provenance. But the IC cards are wonderfully convenient and not tickets for rip off.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
59,887 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pasmo

IC cards offer "cheaper fares" because the 8% tax rate is calculated to the very Yen. When using ticket machines to buy individual tickets, the tax is rounded up to the nearest 10 Yen so you might lose a few Yen due to rounding. That's why there is a small difference. Get a Pasmo!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
76 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pasmo

thanks for your help

Reply to: Pasmo
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted