We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is the JR pass worth it?

Toronto, Australia
4 posts
Save Topic
is the JR pass worth it?

this is a bare bone itinerary but i just want a general idea if a jr pass will be worth it or if its just a waste of money. My accommodation will be near by the JR shin-imamiya station in osaka.

Tokyo - osaka, shin-imamiya (one way)

Osaka - arashiyama (return)

Osaka - other tourist sites in kyoto (return)

Osaka - nara (return)

Osaka - USJ (return)

Osaka - other tourist sites in osaka (like the kuiyukan)

Osaka - KIX (one way)

7 replies to this topic
Toronto, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: is the JR pass worth it?

Edit: Noticed i didnt add what kind of JR pass i am contemplating to get. I am thinking about getting 7 day pass that can be used nation-wide and if i do get one, i will be using it for the later part of my travel itinerary which is listed above.

Tsukuba, Japan
Level Contributor
8,440 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is the JR pass worth it?

Are you planning to fly in Tokyo (Narita or Haneda Airport) and fly out from Osaka (Kansai Airport)? Why don't you fly in and out from Osaka (Kansai Airport), if you don't see Tokyo at all?

Anyway, Tokaido Shinkansen (bullet train) from Tokyo to Shin-Osaka costs @14,500 yen oneway, while the 7 day JR Pass costs 29,110 yen, thus the 7 day JR Pass pays off only if you round trip Osaka from Tokyo in addition to a short day trip using the JR train, and it does not pay off for a oneway trip from Tokyo to Osaka as you are planning.

Level Contributor
394 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: is the JR pass worth it?

https://www.japan-guide.com/railpass/

Rail Pass calculator.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
6,844 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is the JR pass worth it?

You only appear to be doing one long-distance trip (Tokyo-Osaka), therefore the JR Pass isn't worth it.

California
Level Contributor
3,836 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is the JR pass worth it?

Are you staying in Tokyo at all? Doesn't matter for JR Pass (which doesn't work), but want to know if you are getting a SUICA.

Toronto, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: is the JR pass worth it?

yes, ill be staying in tokyo for a week but i will not be using a jr pass for tokyo if i ever get one.

Toronto, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: is the JR pass worth it?

i will be flying in from narita and will be staying for tokyo in a week as well.

Reply to: is the JR pass worth it?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted