We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nagasakii or Kurashiki in December

portland, or
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Nagasakii or Kurashiki in December

Looking for third place to visit during Japan trip in December. Which would be more interesting - Nagasaki or Kurashiki (or somewhere else)?

We like smaller places, getting a feel for normal everyday life and culture.

Thanks

Steve

3 replies to this topic
Fukuoka, Japan
Destination Expert
for Fukuoka, Kyushu
Level Contributor
5,082 posts
3,308 reviews
1. Re: Nagasakii or Kurashiki in December

It's hard for me to compare Nagasaki with Kurashiki. They're completely different from each other. Besides, I wouldn't call them smaller places. I wonder if you're interested in non touristy places.

California
Level Contributor
4,314 posts
335 reviews
2. Re: Nagasakii or Kurashiki in December

Nagasaki is a major city maybe three or four times larger than Kurashiki in population. But Nagasaki is not a bad base for itself and close by parts of Kyushu and benefits from deeper traditions.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
25,863 posts
30 reviews
3. Re: Nagasakii or Kurashiki in December

Kurashiki is a small city with compact tourist areas (canal district, factory outlet mall) , which can be done in a half day, relatively easy to get to.

Nagasaki is a rather large city, with many sights scattered around. It's also rather time-consuming to get to from Tokyo/Osaka, unless you fly.

Normal everyday life happens in cities large and small. You just need to step away from the main tourist area a bit.

Reply to: Nagasakii or Kurashiki in December
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted