We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Burn relief ointment

Level Contributor
243 posts
5 reviews
Burn relief ointment

Hi

During visit to Ishigaki I was burned on my forearms. I probably didn't use enough sun block and did not wear long sleeves.

Using more sun block (50 SPF) and covered my arms today but it still feels bad.

I brought some aloevera ointment as well as hydrocortisone ointment but they are running out.

What Japanese equivalents can be bought here? Or anything that might ease the burn except for using sun block. Should I visit a drug store or can it be found in convenience stores as well?

12 replies to this topic
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
25,870 posts
30 reviews
1. Re: Burn relief ointment

Go to a drug store and ask the staff (showi him/her the burn).

Edited: 13 May 2018, 03:04
Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara
Level Contributor
9,235 posts
2. Re: Burn relief ointment

If it was me, I'd rather go get a couple of ice packs/refrigerants first at a convenience store/supermarket/drug store than apply anything to the affected parts. An ice pack/refrigerant can probably be had for not more than 100yens. Get well soon.

Edited: 13 May 2018, 05:30
Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
28,728 posts
69 reviews
3. Re: Burn relief ointment

Cool water is the first thing you apply to a burn (never use ice directly which can cause more damage).

Since yours is not a fresh burn, cold water/compress is not going to help.

Go to a drug store ASAP and seek help from a pharmacist, so he can determine if you need to see a doctor.

Level Contributor
243 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Burn relief ointment

I have kept applying aloevera ointment as soon as I got back to the hotel room. It is not as red as it was yesterday but still stings a bit.

Not sure what a doctor could do as I would not understand them (I don't speak much Japanese).

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,099 posts
25 reviews
5. Re: Burn relief ointment

Aloe vera is easy to find at a pharmacy.

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
28,728 posts
69 reviews
6. Re: Burn relief ointment

I'm a physician and the main reason I suggest showing your burn to a pharmacist is that he can see if the burn is getting infected or not. A large or deep burn can be serious if it gets infected.

If the burn is small and shallow, just keep it clean and covered--again, a pharmacist can assist with what to use.

Level Contributor
243 posts
5 reviews
7. Re: Burn relief ointment

I understand. But how would I know if it is pharmacist? There is a local drug store in central Ishigaki (Daiko Drug).

I apply sun block and have had it covered with a long sleeved shirt all yesterday. It is hard to put on anything more as it is very warm outside...

Edited: 13 May 2018, 09:37
California
Level Contributor
4,323 posts
335 reviews
8. Re: Burn relief ointment

It is true that not all employees of a drug store is a pharmacist. So you could ask your concierge to call the drug store and tell it you are going in and wish to see a pharmacist. Then have the concierge give you the name of the pharmacist and when you are expected.

Level Contributor
243 posts
5 reviews
9. Re: Burn relief ointment

Concierge...? I am not staying in a luxury hotel unfortunately. It's a business hotel.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12,099 posts
25 reviews
10. Re: Burn relief ointment

Just go to the drug store. It's not difficult to tell who the pharmacist is when you get there. If it is an assistant you ask, they will bring you to the right person.

Reply to: Burn relief ointment
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted