We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Izu Peninsula

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
41 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Izu Peninsula

We have 4 days we'd like to use to explore the Izu Peninsula.

What is the best way from Tokyo? We'd ideally like to take a bullet train to minimize driving to Izu and rent a car there. Is that possible?

Are there Onsen's that are baby safe? Which beaches do you recommend to lay around and be lazy at?

Mentioned in this post
Izu
Izu
Shizuoka Prefecture, Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Likely To Sell Out
Mt Fuji, Lake Ashi and Bullet Train...
4,227 Reviews
from USD 144.80*
Special Offer
Tokyo Robot Restaurant Cabaret Show...
113 Reviews
from USD 56.10*
USD 74.70
Mt. Fuji Day Trip Including Lake Ashi...
956 Reviews
from USD 130.80*
4 replies to this topic
Leavenworth, Kansas
Level Contributor
354 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Izu Peninsula

Ride to Atami or Mishima and rent a car there. I like driving on the Izu skyline; it is beautiful. And highway 414 from Shuzenji down the back of the peninsula. Plenty of hot springs along the way.

Re: onsens that are safe for a baby ... you don't want to get your baby's temperature too hot, so you want an onsen that is 39 degrees or a bit less, more like a lukewarm spring than a hot spring. Don't know how old your "baby" is. We took our children when they were toddlers and they were fine. However, consider onsen etiquette as well. Small children who are not toilet trained are not welcome in hot springs and especially those still in diapers. Nothing clears out a bath faster than someone who has an accident. For this reason I suggest you take a baby basket and let your baby sleep beside the bath.

Mentioned in this post
Atami
Atami
Mishima
Mishima
Izu Skyline
Izu Skyline
52 Reviews
Izu, Japan
Durham
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Izu Peninsula

Hi,

Izu is a nice area to explore. Kodama Shinkansen services will take you as far as Atami in north-east Izu.

I stayed in Ito when I was there in March. I visited Mt. Omuro and the Jogasaki coast by bus one day and then rented a car from Toyota rent-a-car to go to places farther away on the other day.

I visited Toi goldmine, Dogashima and Kawazu Nanadaru (seven waterfalls) with the car. I recommend them all

I don't know how many beaches there are but you could look at Shirahama beach.

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6310.html

Mentioned in this post
Izu
Izu
Atami
Atami
Ito
Ito
Mount Omuro
Mount Omuro
617 Reviews
Ito, Japan
Jogasaki Coast
Jogasaki Coast
469 Reviews
Ito, Japan
Toyota
Toyota
Aichi Prefecture, Japan
Toi
Toi
123 Reviews
Kushima, Japan
Kawazu-cho
Kawazu-cho
Kamo-gun, Japan
Shirahama Beach
Shirahama Beach
560 Reviews
Shirahama-cho, Japan
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
41 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Izu Peninsula

Thank you John D for your response. I can agree that a baby's poo in the onsen would probably scare many people out of the water including myself. Thank you for the advice on bringing a baby basket.

Ahar - thank you for your response too. I'll add the seven waterfalls & Shirahama beach to the list.

Is 3 days adequate to drive around the entire peninsula? We would like one day to explore Hakone.

Are there any places you recommend to eat or stay?

Mentioned in this post
Shirahama Beach
Shirahama Beach
560 Reviews
Shirahama-cho, Japan
Bandung, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
4,301 posts
779 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Izu Peninsula

Totally agree with John D. Hire a car (we rent from Nissan Rent a car) from either Mishima or Atami. You can also rent from Numazu but it means changing trains from Mishima to Numazu and renting there. Numazu is a really lovely place too, a fishing port with a river estuary and a tsunami gate at the entrance to the harbour and great very fresh seafood restaurants beside the harbour.

The Izu Peninsula is actually close to Fuji so it is very easy to drive up to places like the Mishima Skywalk, Hakone, Kawaguchiko and Fujiyoshida (Chureito Pagoda and great views of Mt. Fuji)

Mentioned in this post
Mishima
Mishima
Atami
Atami
Numazu
Numazu
Izu
Izu