We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kyoto and Osaka from Tokyo

6 posts
2 reviews
Kyoto and Osaka from Tokyo

Hi, I am going to Japan in October of this year and I plan to do day trips to Kyoto and Osaka on separate occasions. Can anyone tell me when the best time's to get the trains to both destinations? Although it may not be possible, I want to avoid the congestion at the train station but have enough time to see what Kyoto and Osaka has to offer.

8 replies to this topic
California
Level Contributor
4,322 posts
335 reviews
1. Re: Kyoto and Osaka from Tokyo

Doing day trips from Tokyo to Osaka and Kyoto is far less efficient than staying in either Osaka or Kyoto to tour them and then returning to Tokyo (or departing from Kansai International Airport).

Look at a map. Use Hyperdia.com for train schedules and fares to be used with Google maps and paper maps.

Do some research https://www.japan-guide.com/

6 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Kyoto and Osaka from Tokyo

Thank you for replying. I just wanted my question answered, not my travel plans criticised. Although I would love to stay in both places, I am restricted by time and I don't have the luxury of spending more than a day there.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
7,039 posts
386 reviews
3. Re: Kyoto and Osaka from Tokyo

If you are doing day trips to Kyoto and Osaka, then getting a train early in the morning will give the maximum amount of time in each place. The train takes about 2 and a half hours each way.

As you are restricted by time, one thing that would be worth considering is spending a night in either Osaka or Kyoto, something like this:

Day 1 - travel to Osaka, stay the night.

Day 2 - take half hour train trip to Kyoto, sightsee, travel back to Kyoto.

This reduces the amount of travel time substantially and uses the same amount of days in your itinerary as doing 2 day trips from Tokyo.

6 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Kyoto and Osaka from Tokyo

Thank you. Yeah that does seem more sensible. I will definitely look into doing that.

Illinois
Destination Expert
for Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
57,413 posts
67 reviews
5. Re: Kyoto and Osaka from Tokyo

Get a 7 day JR pass = www.japanrailpass.net for the details.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
7,039 posts
386 reviews
6. Re: Kyoto and Osaka from Tokyo

Sorry, just realised Day 2 should say:

Day 2 - take half hour train trip to Kyoto, sightsee, travel back to Tokyo

6 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Kyoto and Osaka from Tokyo

I've already looked into it and I'm definitely getting a JR pass.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Kyoto and Osaka from Tokyo

I would take the first Shinkansen of the day and return on the last one at night.

Reply to: Kyoto and Osaka from Tokyo
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted