We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bullet train from kyoto to Yokohama

Franklin, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
21 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
bullet train from kyoto to Yokohama

My wife and I will end a land tour in Kyoto on September 28th. We need to get to Yokohama that night. From what I have read we can only buy our tickets for the bullet train that day. Is this correct? Do we pick up our tickets at the station in Kyoto?

Mentioned in this post
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Yokohama
Yokohama
Kanagawa Prefecture, Japan
11 replies to this topic
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
25,239 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bullet train from kyoto to Yokohama

Reserved seat bullet train tickets can be purchased up to 1 month in advance, at any staffed JR stations throughout the country.

California
Level Contributor
3,506 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bullet train from kyoto to Yokohama

The Shinkansen routing will be from Kyoto Station to Shin-Yokohama. Do you know where you will be staying in Yokohama? Are you off on a cruise, and if so from which pier?

Mentioned in this post
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Yokohama
Yokohama
Franklin, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
21 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bullet train from kyoto to Yokohama

Thank you for the info. Is the price the same if purchased in advance as of the day of travel?

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
25,239 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bullet train from kyoto to Yokohama

Yes, reserved seats cost the same regardless of when you book at a JR Station.

Nakano, Japan
Level Contributor
426 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: bullet train from kyoto to Yokohama

The cost of Shinkansen is fixed, with only difference to reserved seat at peak/normal/idle seasons by around 200Y only. When you make a reservation will not differ for a given date of travel

Japan
Level Contributor
3,816 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bullet train from kyoto to Yokohama

There are advance purchase fares now available (some restrictions apply).

BTW - if you look at places like Hyperdia, they will not show the advance purchase fare options. You have to know where they are and how to get them, but certainly they now exist (as of a few months ago at least).

Edited: 12 May 2018, 23:52
United States
Level Contributor
360 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bullet train from kyoto to Yokohama

https://smart-ex.jp/en/

We traveled from Kyoto to Tokyo on the Nozomi bullet train and reserved our tickets in advance before we left the US on the app I linked above. We then went to the station the day before our trip and picked up our actual tickets at the station, but you could go just before your trip. By reserving, we were able to not only be sure we had a spot on the train, but were able to select our seat as well. When we traveled in April, the train car we traveled in was full.

The app requires you to create a password, and when you go to pick up your tickets you need to bring the credit card you used to purchase. They also said you would need the password to pick up the tickets but I don't recall needing that when we actually picked them up. It was a pretty simple process.

Edited: 13 May 2018, 01:57
Mentioned in this post
Kyoto
Kyoto
Kyoto Prefecture, Japan
Tokyo
Tokyo
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
Franklin, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
21 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: bullet train from kyoto to Yokohama

Yes we are going on a cruise. Don't know what pier yet. We are staying at the Best Western Yokohama. Thanks for the info on the train.

Mentioned in this post
Yokohama
Yokohama
Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
25,239 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: bullet train from kyoto to Yokohama

Notice I said price is the same at any JR station. Elsewhere, discount fares had been around for years, but not practical for most casual tourists.

Japan
Level Contributor
3,816 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: bullet train from kyoto to Yokohama

Yes bibimbob, I was not disagreeing. Other people have stated there is no advance purchase discount available, but without the "at a JR station" tag. Certainly does not apply to all lines/trains, but the savings can be quite good.

Reply to: bullet train from kyoto to Yokohama
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted