We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 days in Japan plan, what do you think?

Spain
Level Contributor
78 posts
133 reviews
Save Topic
10 days in Japan plan, what do you think?

Hello,

I'm planning a trip to Japan in october, I have been reading lots of information these days but the truth is that I still have plenty of unsolved questions. It is a honeymoon trip, I am aware that it is going to be a hectic trip since we don't have so many days but I wouldn't mind to do without something if it means enjoying ourselves and relaxing a bit more. We are more interested in a more traditional Japan and not so much in the modernity Tokyo seems to offer; I have the impression that we'll like Kyoto more. Taking all this into account, I have planned a posible circuit (I know that having planned more nights in Tokyo than in Kyoto may seem a bit incoherent according to our preferences but I have done so because of its huge dimensions.

These are my questions:

1Do you think it is alright? Is it better to place one more night in Kyoto instead of in Tokyo considering what we would possibly ike more? or 2 days in Tokyo is absolutely nothing?

2 I'm not so interested in Osaka but I have included it because we return from this city.

3 How about visiting Himeji and arriving later to Osaka even though we won't see much/nothing

4 I think we could spend one more day in Japan , where would you spend it in that case?

Thanks a million!

day 1:Flight

day 2: TOKYO arriving at 9 am

day 3: TOKYO

day 4: TOKYO

day5 EXCURSION TO NIKKO, returning to Tokyo.

day 6: HAKONE and overnight

day 7: KYOTO

day 8: KYOTO

day 9: NARA back to Kyoto

day 10: HIROSHIMA AND MIYAJIMA, overnight in Miyajima

day 11: OSAKA and overnight

day 12: flight back

¡Mil gracias!

Best Seller
Mt Fuji, Lake Ashi and Bullet Train...
4,313 Reviews
from USD 141.30*
Best Seller
Tokyo Robot Evening Cabaret Show
946 Reviews
from USD 65.70*
Best Seller
Tokyo Robot Restaurant Cabaret Show...
122 Reviews
from USD 54.70*
7 replies to this topic
California
Level Contributor
3,846 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 days in Japan plan, what do you think?

Congratulations and welcome to the Japan Forum.

Spending more time around Kyoto rather than Tokyo is a great idea imho.

You are only marginally closer to Kansai International Airport if you stay in Osaka rather than Kyoto (maybe 40 minutes depending on where your hotel in Kyoto is). So I would skip Osaka completely. You may want to look at the JR West Kansai Hiroshima Pass to mitigate your transportation costs. Would include a high speed train to Himeji from Kyoto. And because Kyoto and Osaka are so close, you can spend part of a late afternoon or evening in Osaka while returning to Kyoto for sleeping.

Por nada.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
491 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 days in Japan plan, what do you think?

Make a list of what sites/places you want to visit while based in each city. Like what you want to see/do while in Tokyo (minus the day trip to Nikko). If you think you can do all that in 1 1/2 days, allocate the day to Kyoto.

Spain
Level Contributor
78 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 days in Japan plan, what do you think?

Thank you for your advice! I had thought to buy the JR pass for a week (it's enough to cover all the trips). I had a look at the regional ones but I don't think it will suit me because I' m travelling between regions and besides, Tokyo' s region is pretty expensive, I dont know if you are referring to a different thing. Thanks!

California
Level Contributor
3,846 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 days in Japan plan, what do you think?

You say your return flight is from Osaka. The JR Pass will probably not pay off if you are not returning to Tokyo for your departing flight. That's why I suggested you look at JR West Kansai Hiroshima.

Spain
Level Contributor
78 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 days in Japan plan, what do you think?

Thanks, Liars N F!

I had a look at the regional passes but I think it's more expensive for my circuit, because the West Kanshai Hiroshima is 145 euros, but I have to travel from Tokyo to Nikko and Hakone (pass East) which also costs 145 euros while the 7-day pass costs 218 euros. I don't know if there's something I'm missing like finding regional passes for fewer days, but all I find is 7-day ones except the Hakone free pass for 2 days.

Thank you again

Tsukuba, Japan
Level Contributor
8,443 posts
310 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 days in Japan plan, what do you think?

Yes, the 7 day JR Pass pays off if you use it for round trips from Tokyo to Nikko and from Osaka to Hiroshima/Miyajima in addition to a oneway move from Tokyo to Osaka. Activate it on Day 5 when you go to Nikko from Tokyo and it is valid until Day 11 when you return to Osaka.

Level Contributor
2 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 10 days in Japan plan, what do you think?

I have the same question, also travling in october but we have 14 days to spend. I have seen some interesting packages on asiatravels.com.au there is one called Best of Japan and it looks good with not many days im Tokya and 2 free days in Kyoto. Did you by any chance came across any other package offers with similar places and activities?

Reply to: 10 days in Japan plan, what do you think?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted