We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shinkansen

London, United...
7 posts
Shinkansen

Good Morning All;

Today my question is of shinkansen that if I am using Jr pass and wanna to ride on unreserved coach of shinkansen, than I know that there is no need to buy a separate ticket for Jr pass users.I have to just show the Jr pass to a window at the side of the ticket booth. Now my question is that if I am riding on unreserved coach of shinkansen than there is no record for the passengers boarding the shinkansen only for Jr pass users, now let's suppose if the passengers on the unreserved coach of shinkansen exceeds the amount of the available train seats than what will happen?

Thanks

15 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
5,652 posts
26 reviews
1. Re: Shinkansen

You stand up.

California
Level Contributor
4,334 posts
335 reviews
2. Re: Shinkansen

The limitation of the JR Pass is that you cannot use the fastest Shinkansen train, but you can reserve for free for those trains you can take, and so why not?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
62,007 posts
171 reviews
3. Re: Shinkansen

Reservations take just a minute of your time so why not when they are free for pass-holders?

Level Contributor
4,559 posts
9 reviews
4. Re: Shinkansen

I assume that some people are intimidated in facing Japanese railway staff and going through the process of reservation. However, don't worry; those staff speak and understand basic English, and know perfectly well what JR Pass users are wanting to do, from their countless experiences. They are contemporary wizards in booking, and can produce the required tickets in a matter of seconds. There could be some lining up at the most busy stations that foreign travelers use, such as Narita Airport, Shinjuku, and Kyoto, but you can do reservation at any JR station large enough to have a ticket office.

Nakano, Japan
Level Contributor
807 posts
5. Re: Shinkansen

Exactly the same as when you get a bus in full.

But quite rare in Shinkansen except for peak seasons.

London, United...
7 posts
6. Re: Shinkansen

But the case of bus is different in the sense that you can stand in bus while the bus is moving, but once I entered in shinkansen and searching for an empty seat while doing this if the doors of shinkansen closes and I am unable to find an empty seat than what will happen? do I have to take my entire journey while standing in the shinkansen that is my question?

Level Contributor
4,559 posts
9 reviews
7. Re: Shinkansen

Yes.

But except for the peak seasons, Shinkansen won't have people standing. And there are stops on the way with people getting off and seats being emptied.

And you can reserve the seats for free as a JR Pass user - and the question is why you don't want to.

Edited: 11 May 2018, 16:48
London, United...
7 posts
8. Re: Shinkansen

Dear I can reserve my seat my this I am just asking for my knowledge that in case this situation happens to me than do I have to ride my whole journey just standing in the shinkansen?

Thanks

Level Contributor
4,559 posts
9 reviews
9. Re: Shinkansen

Well, we have been answering the same answer: "Yes" "Exactly the same as when you get a bus in full."

Edited: 11 May 2018, 17:38
Level Contributor
4,559 posts
9 reviews
10. Re: Shinkansen

And the first answer: "You stand up."

Well, what can we do otherwise when all seats are ever taken? Sit on other people's laps (which can be fun as an imagination)?

Edited: 11 May 2018, 17:40
Reply to: Shinkansen
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted