We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do? returned my Shinto Omamori to a Buddhist temple

2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What to do? returned my Shinto Omamori to a Buddhist temple

I made an honest mistake by returning my Shinto Omamori to a buddhist temple. I did not ask any of the staff there due to the language barrier and I feel really horrible. What should I do? Should I go back and try to get back my Omamori?

7 replies to this topic
Bellingham...
Level Contributor
4,056 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do? returned my Shinto Omamori to a Buddhist temple

It’s an odd mistake for you to have made, but I would bet others have done it, and I wouldn’t worry. Nothing will happen.

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
25,242 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do? returned my Shinto Omamori to a Buddhist temple

It's too late. Bad luck will come to someone.

Kobe, Japan
Level Contributor
3,642 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do? returned my Shinto Omamori to a Buddhist temple

Now we know why it rained at the end of Golden Week.

Level Contributor
3,260 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do? returned my Shinto Omamori to a Buddhist temple

... And why cherry blossom started early this year resulting in many tourists' disappointment (regardless of whether you returned it before end of March or not, ha ha).

You shouldn't worry about anything. The Japanese have been harmonizing Shinto and Buddhist religions for over a millennium, and it's only modern 19th century practice that stricter separation have put into practice, related to the policy of the Meiji government. There are/were often shrines within temple complexes and vice versa (Kiyomizudera/Jishu Jinja, Sensoji/Asakusa Shrine). I'm sure both Buddhist and Shinto monks would laugh it off.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinbutsu-shūgō

I remember my hatsumode to Yakushiji Shrine in Nara this year. The monk there gave us a short lecture saying that do go to other shrines and temples, buy amulets from whichever as many as you like - as you might find your self lucky from some of them. Yakushiji is probably known for its casual/radical lecturing, and might not be the standard understanding of things (if there is such), but I assume that all Buddhist and Shinto monks/priests would chuckle upon hearing the mistake and tell you nevermind.

Some Buddhist schools, such as Jodo Shinshu, regard amulets not genuine to belief, and suggests returning them so that they can be disposed.

Edited: 10 May 2018, 18:05
Mentioned in this post
Asakusa Shrine
Asakusa Shrine
1,149 Reviews
Asakusa, Japan
Nara
Nara
Nara Prefecture, Japan
Level Contributor
3,260 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do? returned my Shinto Omamori to a Buddhist temple

Many people consider it as a matter/remembrance of the holder's attitude and gratitude for guardianship, rather than the actual good luck being purchased in the form of amulets. And gods don't fight against each other, at least in the usual Japanese understanding.

Edited: 10 May 2018, 18:20
Nara, Japan
Destination Expert
for Nara
Level Contributor
9,033 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do? returned my Shinto Omamori to a Buddhist temple

I'd go back to the shinto shrine you bought your omamori from and buy a new one and keep it. Yes, offering alms there is a virtuous deed. That way you could (think you try to) redeem yourself from damage being done. What else can you do for your peace of mind, I wonder? Otherwise, forget about placebo effect as (impious) people put it in the first place if you don't think you/omamori have/has materialized what you have wanted to, and don't let the incidence trouble you any further.

SF
Destination Expert
for Fukuoka, Kyushu
Level Contributor
3,225 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do? returned my Shinto Omamori to a Buddhist temple

And don't be cheap stake and don't think you wasted money or time buying another one again or made a god mad. LOL.

Peace of mind is what it is for the rest of your life. Offer more money in the Saisen Box when you ring the bell to wake the (mad) god up and beg for mercy for you.

Reply to: What to do? returned my Shinto Omamori to a Buddhist temple
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted