In consideration of the New Years holiday period, winter and not wanting to be too hectic with a 10 and 11 year old in tow, this is the itinerary we landed on:
* 4 Jan -5 Jan Kyoto to Hiroshima (stop Himeji) (2 nights) [trains should not be as busy on 4th]
* 6 Jan - 7 Jan Kanazawa (2 nights)
* 8 Jan - 10 Jan Myoko-Kogen (3 nights with a visit to Monkey Onsen)
*17 Jan fly home from Narita.
Based on above itinerary:
(1) Would you change it in any way?
(2) Is 6 nights in Tokyo (if we do a few day trips) the right amount of time?
(3) Would you take a day off Tokyo and redistribute to the ski fields in Akakura or for Kanazawa?
(4) What is the most efficient, comfortable and cost effective transport options? e.g. a mix of rail passes for certain regions e.g.a 5 day JR West Kansai Hiroshima Pass (Kyoto-Himeji-Hiroshima - back up towards Kanazawa) then another pass for Japanese ski fields and into Tokyo?
(5) Is Hakone best option for Fuji and is day trip ok?
Thanks.Edited: 09 May 2018, 22:31